1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trouble for mowing to early??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by henri4207, May 7, 2006.

1. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

Is there an actual time that I am legally not allowed to mow on a commercial property?? I live in the Arlington, Texas(DFW area). The reason I ask is that I do one commercial property every morning at about 5:30AM, and the properties are backed up about 30 yards to houses. Nobody has ever complained yet(knock on wood), but was wondering if they complained could I get in trouble??
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

In most cities and towns YES you can as most (and I'm sure Arlington would be one that does) have ordinances that state contractors cannot start work in a residential areas before 7:00AM, and commercial mowing falls under that.

Also, how are you cutting properly at 5:30AM in the dark? Even with commercial lighting it seems that it would be hard to see everything properly. It also just to me seems very unprofessional to be out cutting that early when you know people are trying to sleep only 90 feet away.
  3. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I have never heard of such a law or rule around here. I would think the company you have the contract with would be responsible for informing you of any issues with the cutting times. If you get any complaints, just go to the source and see if there is any way to resolve it. Heck, you might even pick up a job or two.
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't think you would get into too much trouble. Just told to stop if anything.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I used to do this early bird crap when I had several places where I could. I wasn't starting before daylight though. But what I have found is that over the long haul it is for the birds.

Anyways, no I don't think you have any business out on that site at 5:30 AM and I think you put yourself at personal risk from doing so. You never know when it comes to a person's sleep. You could be building a ticking time bomb a little at a time week after week until someone just looses it and comes over there.

I just use this rule of thumb.... would it bother me if my next door neighbor fired up his power equipment at _____ AM or _____ PM ?

Plug in 5:30 AM and I would say heck yeah. No work that early anywhere near residential homes at that time of morning.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya the ordinance that calls for you to be a considerate human being