trouble getting green lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by basic lawn, Jan 30, 2003.

1. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

As a three year old small operation, fertilizing has never been part of my business. However, on special requests i have used Scotts fertillizers, and I am justdo not think that I am getting a real green lawn. I suspect Lime and lack of iron could be also factors that I am not adressing. I am in the northeast. Any guidance would be appreciated. I tend to use
    the powdery stuff. Would I be better off using liquid fertilizer.
    I mean, could I double the recommended dosage of the powdery stuff by Scott?

I have just "discovered" this board after about a year for something in landscaping and it has been an exhilarating experience that amount of good advise among colleagues.

thanks for your advise.

BASIC LAWN

2. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Have you done a soil test? Without a soil test we are just guessing at what the problem may be. You can go to your local county extension service and get a soil test kit. Follow the directions and get a soil sample. Then mail it to the test lab (or return it to the extension service office) as per their instructions. They don't cost much. Maybe $10-15.00. When you get the test results, post them here and I am sure many peolple at this WEB site will be more than happy to help you interpret the results and recommend a program that will get you the greenest lawn in the neighborhood. Good luck.

jim