1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trouble getting my EXMARK to take grease...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MountaineerMowingService, May 29, 2007.

1. MountaineerMowingService

MountaineerMowingService LawnSite Member

I have owned a Ferris and a John Deere WB and recently bought a new Turf Tracer 48 HP. The first time I greased it it took grease in all the fittings. The last 2 times it wouldn't take grease at any of the fittings other than the ones on the castor wheels and the ones above the castor wheels where they mount on the front of the mower. I waited almost 3 weeks to grease it after it didnt take the first time and same result, and this is a mower i use five days a week and probably put at least 25-30 hours on it every 2 weeks. My grease gun functions fine and works on the J Deere unit i still own. Do these exmarks just not require a lot of grease or what?

I just wanna make sure I am maintaining the mower properly because I love it and it is by far the best walkbehind I have ever used and I have driven maybe 10 different brands.
  2. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

the grease insert is pro just the castors turn so much that it burns and need the grease where others don't need it as often
  3. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

dirty zirk fittings.replace them,they are inexpensive.
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Take the grease zerk out and clean it or replace it. While its out take a small piece of wire and clean the hole out.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

same thing happends to the bobcat, do the above posts first if you can OR if you need grease in their now and not 1 hr from now like most of us carefully free the ball berring by pushing on it with a hard pointed device like an awl or warm the dam thing up with a lighter or a torch warm means warm not hot.
    zerks can be bought most anywhere if you go to a hardware store and not the dealer bring your old one to match the size their are different sizes that look close but are not the same buy a bunch they are cheap if they are frozen in heat them up so you dont snap the dam things off then you will need to look for your drill and a 6mm tap
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First, before you try any of these things, just unscrew the zerk a little bit Sometimes, these get turned in a little too far, and once they have taken grease, they won't take anymore.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's either the zerk or your choice of grease.

Not all grease is made equal... and some greases don't play well with each other either.
    Some of it will just harden and clog everything up.

Clean the area around the zerk and back it out to see what you have going on.
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya, like envy says dont mix grease especially on highspeed spindels some greases react with each other when mixed I use only Marine grease
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you posted.... I too only use marine grease and was wondering if it;s ok...

It seems to hang in there longer