Trouble Paying Employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rudy1206, Jul 14, 2006.

1. rudy1206

rudy1206 LawnSite Member

Hello, This is my first post. I am not a business owner, I am the designer/office manager, etc..... for my brothers company. I have a question, do any of you have a problem paying your employees? My brother put me in a bad situation today, I was at the office, picking up a few supplies, two of the employee's came in to pick up their paycheck, I couldn't find them, so I called my brother and asked where they were. He wasn't going to tell me, because his account is overdrawn, I hang up, the employees start cussing and getting mad. My brother calls back, tells me where he hid them and that Ican give them to the guys but they better not cash them until after the banks close. So I just give them their checks and say have a good weekend?
    My brother does not manage his money at all, he spends more than he takes in, but ALWAYS blames the employees or anyone he can.
    So what do you think? Is this a normal way of doing this kind of business?
    By the way we are not a large company, 6 employess, been in business for 20years.
    Thanks for any input

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a guy I used to work for. He went bankcrupt. I'd be looking for a job if I were you.....

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You can't spend more than you take in...that's pretty obvious.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Why not? Governments in the USA do it all the time.. and we're still here. :usflag:

5. TurfProSTL

:nono: Governments can issue bonds or raise taxes, most LCOs that can't make payroll CANNOT.....

6. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

I would say stay away from working with family, keep your family life and business life separate, that way trouble at the office doesn't interrupt your personal life.

7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

yer brother is a scum bag.

8. TurfProSTL

:rolleyes: Same goes for old friends.....

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My question is, how can anyone stay in business for 20 years in this fashion?
    Yes I know basically how, I want to know morally how.

If the employees are the problem, why does he have them?
    I don't have any.

10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Did your brother get his paycheck? Maybe he should go without and make sure his emplyees get what their owed.