trouble shoot ????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by clc19chase, May 25, 2007.

1. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

hydro rain valve is buzzing while activated. to make it quit buzzing I can unthread the solenoid a little but it starts seeping water. Is this a solenoid not opening fully or something sticking? thanks

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Open it too much and the zone is going to fire. It needs to be seated firmly to stop the weeping. Change the solenoid to a newer type and it'll probably stop buzzing.

3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I'm guessing it is the HR-1 with the D solenoid. If you get an irritrol solenoid take the white plunger holder out and replace the buzzing one I bet that solves it.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the valve works, let it buzz. Have a replacement solenoid at the ready.

5. PurpHaze

We leave the white ring in and never have problems. It's there for a reason... to keep the plunger/spring from jumping out when solenoid is removed. :)

6. PurpHaze

I agree... Some hum and some can't carry a tune. Some are quiet and some buzz. Some click loudly and some click softly. It's just the nature of an electromagnet. :)

7. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

We do most of the time except for the hr-1. Seems like I had a problem eons ago that was solved by taking the white ring out and it became company policy. HOWEVER I will reevaluate this policy on my next hr-1 service call.

8. PurpHaze

I can remember when the Irritrol solenoid "captured plunger ring" first came out. Buddy told me that the ring had to be removed so I grabbed a new valve out of the box, removed the solenoid and lo and behold the ring was in place. I told him if it's good enough for a new valve then it should be good enough for an old valve. He stopped removing the ring. :laugh:

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Older Richdel valves do better if you remove that white ring. It took a few callbacks to make this painfully obvious. The ring does create a slight obstruction, and sometimes that's enough to interfere with the valve opening.

10. PurpHaze

Hmmm... How old is old? I have five automatic Richdel 1" ASVs just out my front door and their solenoids all have the white ring. They're 16 years old and I've never had problems. Of course... one of them hums to his own tune now and then. :)