Trouble shoot

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LemkeLawns, May 27, 2007.

1. LemkeLawns

LemkeLawns LawnSite Member

I am fairly new to the irrigation industry, and need some help on my first repair. I want to do things right and not put a bandaid on anything. The situation is on an existing system on a comercial property. They fired the system up the first time this season and some of the rotors did not pop up and others did not rotate. Would you guys have any thoughts on the situation, and what the problems could be. Thanks in advance.

2. Start at the source. Make sure the meter is open all the way and then check the backflow device next. Report back after you have done those two things.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As long as the ball valves are open..check done......stuck innards are for
    a BAT.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

"I need more power, Scotty."

"Aye Captain... I'm given' ya all she's got."

Make sure all isolation, BF, master valves, etc. are properly functioning and open for full power. After that, if you have isolated sprinklers misbehaving (and not an entire zone) then you'll have to start cleaning/replacing/repairing individual heads.

If you have a high calcium content in the water then crystals may of formed on some of the nozzle intakes and may need cleaning.

5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

You may have a head thats been mowed off and just gushing water. Not allowing enough pressure for the other heads to pop up and rotate.

6. LemkeLawns

LemkeLawns LawnSite Member

checked the bf and meter today. both open. I dont yet know if there is an entire zone out or just a few heads. I meet with the grounds superviser wednesday, and then ill find out what exactly is going on.

7. PurpHaze

Does this mean that although you've been to the property you haven't seen the whole system work yet? First thing you'll need to do is perform a complete system walkthrough and indicate by zone exactly what the problems are.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, a compete system check out run zone by zone and walked through as each runs and checked out completely, like Purp says.

9. I don't think he needs to hear it twice.

10. PurpHaze

And now... through the miracle of proper quoting... a third time. :laugh: