Trouble Starting both eXmarks

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by danmc, May 1, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

At work I use a 52" Turf Tracer HP, it has the 17hp Kawi engine, it's approx 2 years old. It takes me about 7 to ten pulls to get it started. We also have a Lazer Z Liquid Cooled with the Ultra Vac, 27hp Kawi, it also has problems starting - have to turn it over approximately 3 times before it will start. The Lazer Z only has 183 hours on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Dan

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure you've probably already checked these, but i'll state the obvious. have you checked/changed the plugs, air filters and fuel filters? you might also want to check your cable linkaged and make sure the carb is going into the choke position, sometimes cables can stretch over time and not allow full operation of the butterfly in the card.

i'm sure terry or somebody will have other suggestions.

3. bluegate

bluegate LawnSite Member
    from 27312

I had this problem until I pulled the knob out (that gives the initial gas) ALL the way. anything less, even 1/16 of an inch, and no start. as you can tell, I know very little...not even what that knob is called! ah well.

4. ckelly

ckelly LawnSite Member

Dan, I've got another make of mower (the yellow ones) that uses that same 27hp Liq. cooled Kaw, and have the same situation. From everyone else I've spoken to it just seems they're cold blooded, have to choke the bajesus out of 'em.
    I would think the 17 should fire right up on the first or second pull with some choke of course.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Kawis are famous for being hard to start. Plus we have had way to many Kawis blow before there time should have been up. Kohlers are east to start and have lasted us a very very very long time. Well over 3,000 hours on a 18hp Kohler magnum and it was still running ok when we sold it! The problem you are having is a very common Kawi problem.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dan,

All are good suggestions. Plugs, fuel filter and air filter. I would also check the choke adjustment as Mike suggested. The 17 hp Kawi should start very easily. Normally on this engine we see issues with choke adjustments if the choke and throttle are on the same cable. I believe it was last year we separated these into two separate cables. The adjustment is outlined in the manual much better than I can explain it (sometimes a picture really does help) but remember the adjustment must be pretty precise. If you off by much at all it won't start correctly.

The choke adjustment on the 27 should be okay (separate choke cable) so I wouldn't mess with it. I would look at the plugs in particular and check your fuel supply. Make sure you not using left over fuel from last season. I'm not sure if there are good suppliers of fuel or bad ones but I have been hearing a lot more of these issues this year. It appears that we are seeing a lot of issues with water in fuel. You may even want to pick up a fuel tester to determine if one supplier is getting higher quality fuel than another. Briggs & Stratton had a fuel testing tool that was reasonably priced and from what I'm told very accurate. It could determine how much water was in the fuel you were using. It's been a while since I've seen one but if I recall it wasn't much more than a test tube with some additional markings on it.

If the problem is water often a fresh set of plugs can make a big difference in engine performance.

Thanks,

Terry

7. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the help. here's what I determined after examining both machines. On the Turf Tracer, the butterfly for the choke was not closing all of the way - simple adjustment on the cable and it starts on first or second pull (and it was 45 degrees today).

What's happening with the Lazer is this - we can pull the choke knob out all of the way but when we let go of the knob, it slowly retracts itself. It looks like the spring in the linkage is too tight(?). Now when we start it we will just keep the knob fully extended while turning the key with our other hand.

Terry - the eXMarks are great machines but the pictures in the manuals are so dark, you can barely distinguish anything....

Thanks again for all of the help,
    Dan