Trouble Starting both eXmarks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danmc, May 2, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Trouble Starting both eXmarks
    I posted this in the eXmark forum but haven't gotten any feedback so I am posting this here.
    At work I use a 52" Turf Tracer HP, it has the 17hp Kawi engine, it's approx 2 years old. It takes me about 7 to ten pulls to get it started. We also have a Lazer Z Liquid Cooled with the Ultra Vac, 27hp Kawi, it also has problems starting - have to turn it over approximately 3 times before it will start. The Lazer Z only has 183 hours on it. IMO both machines shouldn't be this much of a PITA to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Dan

2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

On the walk behind check the throttle cable linkage where it attaches to the carb. Just before that you should see a small bracket/clamp with a srew going through it. This secures the throttle cable and sometimes it will slightly loosen and not let you set the choke.

I had trouble with mine not wanting to start and my dealer said to put the throttle in choke position then look and see if it was at full choke at the end of the linkage at the carb. If not, loosen that clamp screw, pull the cable back just far enough back that it puts the carb in full choke, tighten the bracket screw and it should start on the second pull.

Mine took 10 or 12 pulls when it was cold outside and 6 or 7 when it was warmer. After making that adjustment it starts on the second pull every time. Hope this helps.