Trouble Starting Briggs 24hp ELS

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CELawn, Sep 20, 2006.

1. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

I have a 24hp Briggs ELS on a Scag Tiger Cub with about 50 hours on it. 2 weeks ago I started having a hard time starting it, but only on the first crank of the day. It was like the battery was dead or a safety was disengaged. All I got was a "click" when I turned the key and finally after a minute or two it would start. I've never had a problem after the first crank. I took it to the dealer and of course it started perfectly. They changed the plugs and the fuel filter and I have had no problems until this morning when the same thing happened again. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it sounds like to me you should say that it didn't crank. if you get a buzzing noise or click it is most likely the battery connections either at the battery,ground or starter. check it out

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Check battery connections then solenoid operation/connections.If ok check safeties and relays.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your dealer needs to remove both valve covers and check all four valves for FULL open position and check valve clearance. Briggs has some cam issues where the lobes pre-maturely wear down thus causing the compression release to malfunction. Should this be the problem Briggs will either replace the cam or short-block the engine at their discretions.
    Your engine may be randomly stopping in the wrong position (compression stroke) and without the compression release functioning properly would cause the click because the starter can't roll the engine over from that position.
  5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 16ELS, first start was a bear.
    Found the battery low on electrolyte, maybe because there is no electric clutch to keep it from overcharging.
    Something simple to check though.
  6. alot2lurn

alot2lurn LawnSite Member

Any chance there's a short in your safety system or maybe a problem with your ignition switch ? I own a TC and those are the first two things to come to mind . I was going to get the BS but got a 19 hp kaw instead . In wet grass I would love some more power how does the 24 hp BS do ?
  7. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

Love it. I mulch everything with this machine and have never been lacking power. The only hiccup has been this first start of the day issue which is so random and I have now heard so many suggestions that I have no idea what it is. It only adds about 30 seconds of aggravation to my day when it happens, but overall a great machine.
  8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Am I missing something here?
    I don't know the particulars of your machine, but over-charging a battery should not be influenced by the presence of an electric clutch. The voltage regulator governs this.
  9. Cheapscapes

Cheapscapes LawnSite Member

Have the same mower as you mower has 2 season on it already..just started having the same problem...and of course the motor isn't under warranty anymore.I'm gonna double check all the connections..I'm hoping it isn't something major as Restro described..