Trouble w/ RedMax EBZ8050

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by avc8130, Sep 27, 2012.

1. avc8130

avc8130 LawnSite Member

I was recently given a Red Max EBZ8050 by a landscaper buddy. He gave it to me since it stopped running right:

I got it with no back story. The spark plug was MIA so I started with a fresh one. I was able to get it to "run", but it smokes like crazy. I'm talking instantaneous James Bond smoke screen. Of course it only runs for a few seconds and then dies.

Anything typical with these that causes this? I see the carb is a bit pricey.

ac

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

The piston and rings are trashed. Check the cyl. for scoring and also check the insulator for cracks.

3. avc8130

avc8130 LawnSite Member

Would a compression test confirm this without disassembly?

ac

4. BigFish

Trust me...................ya do trust me, right?

My day job: 005.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

i would go with big fish.....i'm guessing he probably knows

6. avc8130

avc8130 LawnSite Member

Trust instilled!

Where do I order parts?

ac

7. avc8130

avc8130 LawnSite Member

I started disassembly. I pulled the plastic cover, the air cleaner assembly and the exhaust. I looked at the piston through the exhaust and everything appeared ok so I figured I'd throw the compression tester in for the heck of it. It pumped out 160+ psi!

Could the piston/rings be trashed with compression that high? Is the insulator the plastic part between the carb and the cylinder? I'm not familiar with blower terms.

ac

8. avc8130

avc8130 LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention in the previous post, but the exhaust had fuel/oil in it. Spark plug was also soaking wet with mix.

Sounds like something is wonky in the carb causing a super rich condition?

ac

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. BigFish

Sounds like the piston/rings are OK. Compression looks to be OK also.
    Could just be a case of severely flooded , the bottom of the crancase is pooled up with gas. Leave the plug out and muffler off and turn the unit upside down while pulling the starter to clear most of the fuel out. The transfer ports are on the fan and recoil sides of the cyl. under the plate that is held on by two screws. If you kinda lean the unit over on it's side it will help the excess fuel to drain out the exh.
    Yeah, the ins. is the black plastic block that the carb bolts to. They will sometimes crack on the cyl side at the web separating the top and bottom passages.
    About the only thing that will make the carb flood is dirt in the inlet needle or the in. lever too high. Prolly wouldnt hurt to get a rebuild kit for it.
    But clear the crankcase out first and see what happens.
    You can usually re-use the exh and ins. gasket. You might can get by with the old carb gasket , I use spray sealer on all the gask.

10. avc8130

avc8130 LawnSite Member

I tried flipping the unit around and pulling the starter. I got a little black liquid out the exhaust. I pulled the intake boot off and the whole choke assembly is wet with fuel. I pulled that assembly off and the throttle cylinder (?) is all wet also. I'm getting the idea this carb needs a rebuild?

ac