Trouble with 35 Briggs Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bond's Lawn Keepers, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Lazer Z XS, 66" cut. I bought this mower in March o7. The mower has 511 hrs. on motor. I told my dealer that the motor was using oil. You can smell the oil. The dealers stats that the rings is bad. He told me it is not under warranty. He stats that Briggs will not warranty to work on the motor. He told me to keep using clean Briggs filter until it goes bad and then he would tear it down and fix it. ( at my costs)
    I buy new exmark mowers every two or three years. I would like to know if any of you are having problems with your 35 Briggs Vanguard.
    Why don't Briggs warranty this motor.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I had a similar issue except with a 22hp briggs engine. Mine had an issue where the design of the air filter cover would allow dirt and dust to get past the filter. This then caused the engine to eat oil. I was lucky that I had it under warrenty but they ended up having to replace the whole engine. They didn't think they would have to replace the whole thing but they did.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Call Exmark at 1-800-667-5296 and see what they say and possibly see if they can recommend a dealer that can help you. Briggs should have a 2 year warranty but I don't know if using some oil qualifies. You can also post this on the Exmark forum and send a PM to Brian at Exmark. Briggs has a good reputation for standing by their warranty but I don't know your circumstances. Contact Briggs also.

Limited Warranty: Briggs and Stratton Co will repair or replace, free of charge, any parts of the engine that is defective in materials or workmanship or both. Etc, Etc.

Vanguard 2 year Commercial warranty 1-800-233-3723

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

There has to be something more than just a ring problem.

How often do you change the oil, oil filter & air filter?

Have you ever blown the air filter out with an air compressor?

If you have maintained the engine on schedule and there is no evidence of dirt ingestion we would fix the engine under warranty with no questions asked.

You must understand that a good technician can only diagnose some problems by tearing the engine down but a leak down test could be performed to check for blow by.

Oldtimer

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Very good advice, thanks for helping him. I know Briggs will stand behind their product if it has been maintained properly and that it is using enough oil to warrant repair. What his dealer said to him didn't sound right. If it's not his fault he shouldn't have to pay. Of course I don't know all the circumstances.

6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

oldtimer is right. briggs jumps through hoops to keep the end user happy. been more than one time a briggs engine would throw a rod from lack of oil. and i would not warranty said engine.i will tell the customer to call briggs. most time they will replace engine but not labor. briggs is a great company to deal with.
    hey oldtimer hows things in the panhandle this time of year? havent seen ya on in a wile hope all is well!