Trouble with biz plan.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Feb 8, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Im trying to peice together a business plan of which Im also working on services to make available.

Iv been beating myself up trying to decide, do I concentrate on season contract customers who want it all, or do I target the smaller guy who only wants some things once in a while. And how do I offer the smaller guy those things.

Obviously seasonal contracts would be ideal, because everyhting would be layed out. Time line of events, scheduled days, the works. But for the guy who only wants the basic necessity and doesnt want a contract, how do I work up decent pricing and billing schedule.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IMHO, target everyone. Your 'seasonal' contracts would take precendence over your 'one-time' or 'occasional' jobs. Basically if they ask for something to be done you give them a price stipulate "I can't get there before X-date." If you get it you get, if you don't well you must be doing good.

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

twist the words a bit and it would read something like this:
    "do i concentrate on steady cash flow or do i target people who will only call me when they feel like it."

hawk, by reading that, what do you think should be your base strategy? either way, i'm not sure how you would target people for occassional work. it's been my experience that they will target you and you decide whether to follow through with it.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Building off of what the last two guys said....what do you plan to do to generate enough income to sustain the business and all of its expenses? Obviously doing a little work here and there isn't money that you can really count on for much. You need to have a niche that includes targeted customers and you need to offer specific services to them. Get a plan together that brings income into your pockets each month and then all of the one timer customers will be icing on the cake. payup I hope this is helpful to you.