Trouble with Briggs starter rope

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmladenka, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mmladenka

mmladenka LawnSite Member

I have a 21 year old Snapper Commericial L.M. with a 6 H.P. Briggs & Straton. Since it was my first mower in my first lawn service business, and I've never had any bit of trouble with it, I don't want to retire it!

The starter rope recently broke and I had to replace it. However, the new rope, when pulled, won't thread back into the flywheel. I replaced it the same way I took it off, or so I thought. I'm I missing something?? When the casing is off, it will reel back into place, but when I reinstall the housing back onto the clutch and pull, it's like there's not enough tention on the coil to pull it back in.

Any ideas??

2. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

You might try backing the bolts off a round or two that hold the shroud on and bumping the shroud one way or another to try and center it on the engine. Sometimes when you remove the shroud on an old engine, you have to do this to get it back where it was so the recoil will work. (My .02 worth)

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Grab the clutch and see if it spins freely, if not take the two or four screws out of the grass screen then pop the cover off the clutch. Clean it up inside and buff the end of the crankshaft, Then add a thin coat of 10w30 oil on the shaft and only a couple drops in the center part of the clutch and re-assemble.
    I would do this even if it does spin free because if it locks up it could wipe out the plastic pulley and spring.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, had that problem on my old JD walkbehind. That sucker would eat up some starter ropes and pulleys. If only I would have known that there was a clutch and BB's there :hammerhead:

5. mmladenka

I worked on it more, and, given time value to money and the fact that the lawnmower was 20+ years old, I decided to retire it and but a new John Deere.

But I did give the old Snapper girl to someone who had a nice never-been-used 5hp I/O to put on her.

Thanks again for your advice.

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy in Midland, Texas by the name of Mark Mladenka. I'm betting money that you guys are related.

7. mmladenka

You can bet that anybody with that last name is related to me! I don't know Mark in Midland but my brother's name is also Mark (Garland) so I'm sure they won't be at all happy to find out their name is not unique anymore! Tell Mark hello and that he has a lot of relatives now in big D.