Trouble with Celtik Stone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by coxlandscaping, Nov 11, 2007.

1. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

We laid a Celtik retaining wall 90mm we had a good compacted base and made sure that our first course was good and level so we started going up with the wall but these things you could lay them out and step back and look with out even use a level and see that it looked like a darn roll a coaster ride so we shimmed them with pieces of old shingles to get them level we are now laying a column for a mail box the contractor had poured a concrete pad that he wanted us to lay the stone on I checked to make sure it was level and it was so we started laying it keeping an eye on it and sure enough about the 4th or 5th course he we go again with the wave any body else having this trouble with these stone

2. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

To add to your thread,some contractors aroung here have been having similar problems with CST pavers.To make up the difference,he was doing the same thing you are.........making up the difference with shingles.

He said he will not be using CST anymore.

3. coxlandscaping

What I don’t understand is why they are making them were the top of the stone is smooth but the bottom side is rough I think that is a lot of the trouble

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

We use celtik wall weekly and have had some trouble with them, notably the sides of the blocks where they are split its just a pita to have to cut them straight so you don't have that large gap in front. I have had trouble on occasion with the capstones being out of whack but not so much with there 90mm or 135mm block. Use butyl tape to work out the uneveness.
    Something else you need to do is talk to your rep and make him aware of this problem.
    What it boils down to is the frequency in which their molds are changed. I have started to use unilock more and more these days because my complaints usually fall on deaf ears with permacon.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

They sometimes have left over concrete from the molds on the bottoms.
    It is a quality issue.
    Either send them back or take a hammer and knock them off.

They have been worse this year here as well.

6. coxlandscaping

I would like to send these things back but the thing is every pallet that we have tried laying has had the same thing with the rough bottoms I’ve thought about taking a grinder to them but that will take time and time is money

7. AWJ Services

from Ga

My last wall was troublesome but not as bad as what you are describing.
    I would call the block rep and see what he says.

Here Belgard/Keystone was the highest quality block for a long time.
    There quality is down for sure as of late.

You could buy a concrete planer blade and put it in an angle grinder and it would go pretty fast.
    Just grind them as you take them off the pallet.
    Keep track of time and present to your block rep.

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of guys aorund here use Belgard and I think their products are really poor quality. Colors don't match, walls are coming out wavy and pavers are cracking very easily. I'll stick to VersaLok and Unilock

9. coxlandscaping

I may try going to something else next time this job is to far along to start over now I didn’t know until last week that I could get Versalok in my area but Unilock is a no go no body selling them around here the concrete planer blade sounds interesting were can you get them Lowe’s, Home Depot

10. AWJ Services

from Ga

If you cannot find it get a wet/dry diamond 4 inch blade.
    It will work fine.
    I had some blocks left over and went and looked at them.
    Some are perfect and some are really bad.
    You can also take the hammer and hit straight down on the rough part and it will usually flatten pretty good.