Trouble with Denso Starter on Kohler 20

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Jul 29, 2005.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I had atwoDenso starters for a Kohler 20 on a Walker mower which started hanging. I replaced the solenoid and tested on a car battery. Both worked great. I put it in the mower and it would either hang or if it engaged it would turn slower than normal. I changed the battery to make sure that was not a problem. I even tried putting power directly to the starter solenoid spade terminal from the battery and it would still hang most of the time. I pulled the motor in and out several times swithced the starters and even put it in another Walker to make sure it wasn't something in the wiring. Are you supposed to put any grease on the starter wehn you clean it? I finally replaced the starter with one off a 25 hp and it worked. Could the ground be the problem. If the ground is the problem, why did it work with the last starter I put in.

Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this will help !

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Let me know what you find. I have been seeing problems with the Deco-Remy starters on some Kohlers.

4. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I never did find a fix except to replace the starter. I didn't put a lubricant on the shaft of the starter because I had been told years ago by Kohler that the lubricant might cause problems, but that was with the old magnum starters that didn't have a solenoid to kick out the bendix. Do any of you know what the lubricant called out by Kohler is? Thanks Restorob, the starter information was very helpful. I think my problem was a combination of voltage drop and no lubricant on the starter shaft. When I have some spare time, I will do some more testing. I will start by cleaning the negative battery terminal and the ground to the frame.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what the Kohler starter lube is, I use a lube put out for Polaris ATV's & Watercraft It seems to work just fine.
    This Kohler lube # 52-357-02 is only $ 2.30 a tube, It may just be worth it.