1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with Hunter ASV's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gusbuster, Feb 13, 2007.

1. As I was told by a friend in the trade, ASV's are a CA. thing.

In all the years that I've installed ASV's here, I've never had a problem like I'm having with Hunter ASV's.

I switched from Rb's to hunter, primarily for the points and material cost. In 2005, I had no problems with leaks using Lasco m.a.'s and the hunter ASV's. In 2006, starting with my second case bought, every other valve would leak from the threads.

Contacted Hunter's customer service regarding the issue, what i was told that Lasco's m.a.'s didn't go into threads enough. They recommend switching to spears m.a.'s.

Sounds kind of funky to me because if I use any other brand valve(irritrol, R.B. toro ect...) with the Lasco fitting, I never have any kind of problems, but the Hunter asv, nothing but trouble. The problem I have with getting Spears fitting, only available at Ewing. Horizon and JDL all carry Lasco fittings. Hate to make a special trip to Ewing, just to buy male adapters.

Any of you have a good contact with Hunter? Would like to try to figure out if they are having problems with production or something. I could go to the slip version of Hunter ASV's, but that would limit me to buying those valves while I'm out in the valley as they are not available except special order here in the Peninsula.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, been doing this for a long time. The leaks occur whether using tape or paste, hand tight and tightening with pliers, still leaks.

2. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Call Hunter or ask your supply house who your local Hunter rep might be. Call him and explain. You might just have ended up with a bad lot of valves.
    Here in the eastcoast our Hunter reps are pretty reponsive to our problems

Good luck!

3. I've already have contacted hunter industries and how I got the silly switch to Spears fittings.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I just installed two Hunter ASV-101 valves in the planter project pictured in another thread and had no problems. However, I used SCH 80 nipples instead of MA's. :)

Personally... If I had my choice between Spears threaded products and those from Lasco... I'd choose Spears 100% of the time.

I'll PM you our Hunter rep's number down here. He spends a lot of time in the bay area so maybe he has part of that territory too. If not he'll know who your rep is.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd reccomend one better and go with Dura MA's.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There is a variance with thread geometry, depending on manufacturer. (and they have their reasons for it) I learned this when I was using Richdel antisyphon valves. Some male adapters would all but thread right into the valve so that the shoulder of the adapter and the valve would be butting together, and still not tightly threaded together.

7. Yep Yep and Yep....

Tell your hunter rep that you still want to use the valves....tell him you hate going to Ewing but Horizon doesn't carry the right M'A's as recommended....

If he is a good rep....he will take care of it. If he won't , email me and I'll put you in touch with someone at Hunter who will....

Or...buy a sh*tload of the ma's you need online or something....I hate Lasco..but that is personal preference, I prefer dura...

8. It just irks me that in order to use their valves, I got to use a certain brand M.A. to prevent leaks. I would think that throughout the industry, there is a set standard as to how deep and kind of thread that a m.a. should be.

Hayes and Tony , Thanks for help.

It's not that much of a big deal to go from horizon to Ewing as both places are located from me either going south or head north(Stockton or Modesto) 15 minute drive, and 5 min from to either place, it's just the fact that having to go 2 different places. If I only go to one, have time to enjoy some coffee and cookies(horizon-Stockton, there always one of the guys selling girl scout cookies or some kind of fundraiser) and network with other contractors.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You have to remember that valve manufacturers are wary of their product splitting at the threads, so they make their valves a bit 'out of spec' - the mismatches are their fault, basically. Really slathering on the teflon tape was one workaround on the old Richdels. Using TOE nipples is what I prefer now, cutting a 'machined' sch 80 nipple in half to make two of them from a single nipple.

10. I tried this also, either the fitting split and then had to use a nipple extractor to get the old piece out, or it still leaked. (Were you talking about the old Richdel\Lawn Genie valves)

What I think, since they are the only ones that I am aware, relatively new in my area also make a slip version, which if I choose to use, will seriously consider as you and Purp recommend use a sch 80 toe end nipple. Never have had to do this so kind of new, but will try this on some new systems I will be doing in the next few months.

From when dad was installing, I know I have a bunch of old nipples sitting somewhere in the storage shed.