Trouble with our driveway on a hill

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fredonia_freak, Dec 2, 2006.

1. fredonia_freak

fredonia_freak LawnSite Member

My husband and I recently purchased a home that sits up on a hill in Western NY. We are now experiencing problems with our driveway which is developing deep ruts following heavy rains. The soil base appears to be clay like and the driveway is stone. A great deal of the stones have also been washed away at this point.

The individual we hired was able to take out the ruts but informed us today that this would not hold up and we would continue to have this problem because of the driveway being on a hill. He suggested in the spring that we have rip rap put into the side of the hill (aprox 50 feet long) and then have someone cover the dirveway with millings.

I have also had someone suggest that I cover the side of the hill with hay in an effort to get some type of seed growth (at this point the side of the hill has no ground cover and is again a clay like soil). I was told this would be more cost effective.

Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about the estimated cost of doing this on a 100 foot driveway. Any help is appreciated.

2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

As far as an estimate that would no be posible with out seeing the site. As for what needs to be done The single most important thing is that you have to give the water an easier place to go other than down your drive. First the sides must be lower than the center (crownd). The soil/clay on the sides must taper away from the sides,to keep the water from being forced back to the edge of the drive. I know this sounds pretty simple but it is the basics. Water will take the easiest path. Again without seeing the site in person it's kind of hard to offer more. A few pics might make a more detailed answer pooible. Good luck.

3. mtpisgah

mtpisgah LawnSite Member

You can either crown it or put a crosspitch on it so all the water goes to one side. This will work well if the the driveway does not go straight up the hill but angles to one side or the other. Then you build small diversion berms every 20-30' (depending on the area draining to the driveway) so the water is forced off the driveway and flows away. In the spring, put millings on it or pave it keeping in mind you will still need crosspitch or crown and diversions and seed the side slopes to reduce the runoff.

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

crown is the proper way to correct this problem. weather it is up and down or the driveway is benched out in the side of the hill. if it is in the side of the hill i would suggest a culvert under the driveway half way down the drive. it should be ditched on each side of the drive if stright up and down, only on the upperside of it is benched out. ask you local quary about the stone that they would suggest in you area.

5. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

oh yea you should pave it gravel driveways are always needing maintanice ( good side money for me)

6. fredonia_freak

fredonia_freak LawnSite Member

thank you for all of the suggestions and advice :)