Trouble with Pump

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by lawnMaster5000, Mar 20, 2002.

1. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Last August i purchased and installed what i am pretty sure is an Aquascape 2700GPH pump. Over the past 6 months the water flow has been decreasing, to what is now aproximately half the original flow amount. I have completely disassembled the entire system replacing filter components(water is still really cold here in MO). I was hoping that filter pads (aquascape system) were just clogged and slowing the water flow, however that was not the case. But I did notice a small amount of water leaking from the pump housing, but not near what has been lost in water flow. To my disapointment the water flow is still at at about half its original rate.

- What i am wondering is if anyone else has experienced similar problems with this pump, both with the housing and with the decrease in water flow. I am looking for anyideas here and would like assistance in resolving situation.

- thanks in advance.
    scott marquart
  2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks( or maybe it doesn't)LOL. Did you take the bottom off the pump? I know with bilge pumps and such that if they freeze they can break off the impeeler paddles decreasing flow. Also, you said you noticed the pump leaking. If the casing is cracked or leaking it won't develop the proper pressure to pump its volume. Just some ideas.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

One other thing I thought of as a possibility is ice buildup. I don't know how cold it is there, but it's possible that ice has built up somewhere in the system, slowing flow.

But I'd start with SCL's post. Maybe hook up your sump pump and see if the flow changes (provided they are of similar capacity). Then you'll know whether it's the pump or the plumbing.
  4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

well i know that its not ice buildup and i am pretty sure that the impeller is not damaged, but i will be checking that this weekend.

Thanks for your help
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

If this is going though a waterfall with the filter media bags on the bottom, this could also slow things down. try fresh media or lava rock. aqauscape and pondsweep send the bags with thier respective waterfalls. we change our lava rock once a year. dave g
  6. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of hose do you use? PVC Flex? 1"/2"/3" ? Weve got a 5 acre yard with a natural pond (really a 10 foot depression in a swamp-helps with filtration though-all natural-no maintenance!) use a 3HP 9500 GPH Semi Trash Pump with a 2" hose. It got crushed under the heavy weight of the rocks in the waterfall in he winter the first year I had it in. Once I got it re-routed, waterflow dramaticly increased! I was a happy camper that day!

I also have a garden pond up here at the house. Had same prob. too. Except it was the seals around the base of the pump. I would check that first.