trouble with spray pattern

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by GRW, Jul 22, 2008.

1. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I am having trouble with my spray pattern. ( I spray Blackmac) I have tried different tips, played with the pressure relief valve without any luck. the pattern I am getting is like this - ------- - :wall:wall

Where I get a void at either end. Does anyone know what is causing this and what I can do to stop it, or is this the way everyone's wand sprays?

I have called Protect Asphalt where the machine comes from and they don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

GRW,

You said you tried different tips but have tried different types tips (number and angle)? Have you checked the strainer behind the tip? Is the tip new?
    have you try to clean the tip by poking something in the hole, if so the tip could be damaged, remember the tip is made brass a very soft metal.
    Good Luck in sloving your problem.

3. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

The original tip was brass and so I tried a new one. Then I went to plastic with a stainless steel insert and no change. I have also tried 1.5 and 2.0 no change. I have not tried a different angle, the ones I have are 80 degree tips. What do you use for tips and angles?

Yes I cleaned the strainer behind the tip and the Y strainer. I also ran the wand back into the tank without the tip and small strainer to make sure nothing was in the line.

4. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

GRW,

The tips sound ok. The one other thing to check would be wand trigger it could be not opening properly. From your other
    posting you everything works fine. Pump is moving material thought lines? The material is not to thick for your pump? I still feel that your problem is with the wand. Gauge the amount of Material going though the wand without strainer and tip, then disconect wand from hose and do the same. If the 2 amounts are totaly different then it must be the wand.
    A easy to gauge it is to fill a 5 Gallon bucket and see how long it takes, by doing this you see the prefromance of the pump as well.(gal/min)
    Good Luck in sloving your problem.

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a common problem with this type of set up, as most of the tips, were made for pressure washing, or using water. Play around with different ones, till you find one that isn't as bad. I use the 8002/8005 I think they are, brass. After I spray the area, I raise the wand up, and put a layer over top, more like fogging the area, to help cover the lines you sometimes get. Worn tips do this too.

6. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Well guys I filled up on the weekend with BlackMac. Before I was using Cut Back. After doing one driveway the problem I had with the spray pattern is now gone. I have since done a dozen and it is still great. Just thought I would pass on my findings.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad you got it figured out. You did post you were using BlackMac in your first post, so that why we didn't mention switching sealer.

8. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Sorry I meant I was going to try Black mac.

9. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

GRW,

Great to hear you slove your problem!:clapping:

10. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

Gongrats!

What is the differerance between cutback and blackmac?