Trouble with the Dixie Chopper Diesel???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tslawncarellc, Aug 11, 2006.

1. tslawncarellc

tslawncarellc LawnSite Member

I just made the switch from Scag to Dixie Chopper last week and bought the 60" 35.5 HP Diesel model. At just over 12 hours, the electrical system burnt up on the machine. Is this the quality that I should expect from a mower I just paid over 13 grand for?? Maybe I should go back to Scag- never had a problem with those- just always saw alot of Dixie Choppers and thought I would try one. Let me know what you think....:usflag:
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Unless things at DC have changed, their wiring has always made me nervous. It looks like something a bunch of high school shop kids would throw together in training class, and the instructor would give them a "C" or "C-" grade.
    I am not surprised to hear you had a disaster with your machine's wiring.
    also, that is a brand new model, so you have to expect it will have some "bugs". I never buy a new model of any brand, until it has been proven in the marketplace for a year or two.
  3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

What engine does it have on it? Exmark and Scag have gone to the 25hp Kubota on their new models. The 50hp (claimed) dixie was a Yanmar. Just curious.
  4. tslawncarellc

tslawncarellc LawnSite Member

The motor is a Yanmar- plenty of power and runs smooth (when the electrical system is working)