Last week, for the very first time ever, on a Sunday afternoon I had to deliever that dreaded phone call. Yeah I had to call a customer and notify them their lawn would have to wait. Most of you say big deal, it happens, can't believe it hsn't already. But you must understand I'm hardcore reliable and always manage to get every lawn, every week, even if that means working through the weekend. By Sunday evening I always have a clean slate and start back at square one. So yeah, this bothered me. But in this case there was nothing I could do other than make the call prior to making a mess. So I did because this property is in a high traffic area and has areas that stay soft even when it's dry. During the course of the day Sunday there was not enough sun to dry the areas I checked that morning. So I made the call, explained and told them I'd get it Mon-Tue-Wed, just whenever it dried out. That was fine by them. A half hour later it was raining again. Monday afternoon, more rain on top of it. Tuesday morning I passed by during a small shower and tooted the horn at the assistant mgr. Wednesday came and it was dry all day. So at the end of the day I dropped by home, showered, ate dinner and pulled back out on a dead run over to their town just to cut it. Well, I pull up and you guessed it. My curse strikes again. The place is butchered up bad. I start smoldering immediately. So I stop and go in to see what the ____ is going on. The assistant mgr is there and the first thing he says is "we aren't kicking you to the curb. We just got a tip that 'top brass' were on their way to visit and the MGR said get it done. So we called so-n-so's son to come get it done. We diffinately want you start back next week and straighten it back out." All I could think is, the friggin phone works both ways. I called them. They could have called me since I hold the contract and my acct# with them is my friggin phone # plus they have my cell #. If they had called I would certainly put them next in line that day. But it wasn't even anything that could not have waited until I got there when I did. Plus, trust me, the 11 days of growth I saw the day before looked much better than the mess they ended up with. Bottom line though, they should have called me to come. At the very least, they should have called to let me know what they did and saved me a dead run! Up until this, it has been a good account. The only things I have had happen is they hired someone else for a trim job along the back boundary. They left a little mess I had to clean and list bill for $0. Then another excessive cleanup I list billed as "2nd excessive cleanup" $30 charge $0. They got the hint that I was going to charge next time. So it has been easy money and headache free since. Matter of fact it's going to be even easier money because a trim obstacle has been ordered removed by 'the brass'. I want to keep the account. I also understand I missed cutting. But I still have no tolerance for their behavior which was flat out rude and inconsiderate as far as I'm concerned. So since they did not offer to pay me while I was there, I'm finding myself "taking considerations" about what I WILL DO when I return next week. The agreement is flat rate weekly until the end of the growing season. By that they will owe me 3 payments next week. Last week, this week and next.... which I am sure they are not expecting to have to pay for last week and my dead run. In all honesty I would have probably forgave them all but the current service week if I had cut it and been able to without a ton of extra work/time. If they had called to save me the trip I would have only charged for the rainout week and then current service week when I returned next week. But now, even though it's going to pizz them off, I'm most likely charging for all three weeks per the agreement when I return. That or I could blame myself, forgive them for the cut done, charge 2, one for the dead run and one for the return week. Either way, I'm a firm believer that you have to remain in control by being hard, otherwise a once good account will start treating you like a PEE-ON. I think that has already been proven with this account from the cleanup situation I already mentioned. What do you all think? I'm trying to be 'sensable' here. Usually I would have already canned them or set them up for breach of contract for non-payment by rudely demanding the 2 payments owed when I showed and it was already cut. Of course they would refuse payment. Then I would suspend service and take them to court for the balance of the agreement.