1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Troublesome Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Have a customer who I installed late last fall who is on their 4th timer. Everytime after a lightning storm the controller [Nelson] gets zapped! I checked all the valves and even rewired them to make sure of good dry connections and the customer even put a surge protector on the outlet where the controller is plugged into. Any ideas? Thanks
  2. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Also the controller is internally grounded so the manufacturer says there is no need to ground it with a rod. I have 2 houses within a block of this home [2 years old] with the same controller and have never had any problems.
  3. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

check the connections on the outlet to make sure wires are tight, also check wire conections at breaker. Loose wires at these points can sometimes cause problems. Am I understanding that the surge protector didn't protect the controller? If you continue to have problems install a gfi outlet, it may be a pain in the a### but it should protect the controller and it is easy to reset
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

So you have replaced the Nelson controller everytime with another Nelson? Off the subject of lightning, I don't know how many Nelson controllers we have eaten :eek: We installed a bunch of them in a two year period and almost everyone of them was lost within a couple years.