Troy-Bilt 21" non-commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir Mow-A-Lot, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

What kind of reputation do these machines have? I am in need of a trim mower but don't have $1000 to spend on a commercial one. I saw a 2005 Troy-Bilt at Lowe's for about $229. Its got a 6.75 horse briggs & stratton, and it can mulch, side discharge, or rear bag. It's not self-propelled (which i do not like for trim mowers) and has oversized rear wheels.

I am a part-timer. I don't anticipate to use the trim mower more than 5hrs a week. So, how do these machines rank amongst Craftsman, lower end Hondas, Lawn Boy, etc. Thanks.

2. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I think it will probably work great for you. I have been mowing for a living the past five years. All the 21" mowers from lowes and homedepot are about the same in my opinion. They usaully last about one full season, and it gets donated to the landfill. Spring comes along and I spend $250.00 and make thousands. It's been working for me, and hope it works for you.

3. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor..

spend a little more $300 and get a Honda push trim mower!! Much better mower for the money..the Troy Bilt is a rebadged MTD!

4. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

fuel for thought. thanks guys.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For a trim mower the Troy-Bilt would probibly work pretty good for you.

6. mc752000

mc752000 LawnSite Member

I have a Troy built for my trim mower and I use it about 10hours a week for the past 2 years and still going strong. So I think it would do good for you!

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's dicey. Could work out for you or the thing could go on the fritz a week after the warranty goes poops out. If you can't afford a grand for a full-grade commercial 21, get what you can, but know there's a substantial risk with homeowner-grade equipment.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The company I work for has Troy-Bilts. They have the 6.75 HP Briggs and the large rear wheels. I have a Honda HRX 217 of my own. The bagging of the Troy-Bilt isn't very efficient. The opening to the bag is small, and when trying to dump clippings it takes a lot longer than it should. I would go with the advise already given and look into the Honda's. Great machines. The Xenoy deck is awesome. It will never get grass stuck to it. I've used it an entire season and have nothing stick to it. The mulching is awesome. I also love the Versa-Mow system that lets you regulate the percent you bag or mulch. Another thing I don't like about the Troy-Bilts are the front wheel self-propelled. This may just be personal preference, however.

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you pay for your Honda HRX 217, did you get it at a Honda dealer? I can't locate a dealer close to me and would have to drive 90 miles to get to one.

thanks

10. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

I would go with a Honda over the troy-bilt. You can get that model at Home Depot! I know you don't want to spend the extra money, but we run the Toro prolines. Go with the Honda for amount of hours you will be using it.