1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Troy-Bilt 21" Push w/ 160cc Honda

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by violatorjf, Apr 5, 2007.

1. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I will likely be mowing 5 to 10 small mobile home yards a week for this season. Most yards would take half an hour or less, so I guess we're talking 2.5 to 5 hours of opeartion a week (probably all on one day). I went to a local Lowe's store and really liked this 21" Troy-Bilt with the Honda engine.

I'm pretty sure it would handle it just fine. I think if I got a true commercial walk behind it would be overkill for the size of yards I'm mowing. Let me know what you think, thanks.

2. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

If it works, that should be fine. However, you should understand that Troy-Bilt is now owned by MTD, so it's up to their "wonderful" standards. It's really no different than any other MTD lawnmower out there. It's really a shame, because Troy-Bilt used to stand for quality-just take a look at the 1980 Troy-Bilt 8HP Kohler Horse Tiller, and put it side by side next to the nice cheap shiny ones they make now. Oh, and that tiller cost more then than the biggest one they make costs now.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Cub/Troybilt dealer. That mower is a piece of junk in my opinion. Look at some of the slightly better quality Cub 21" mowers available at real Cub Cadet dealers. The Troybilt stuff, except tillers, is bottom of the barrel quality for the discount store market.
  4. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

Not to get the thread off-topic, but how long have you been a Troy-Bilt dealer Mowingman? Just wondering if you've been in business long enough to see the downfall of Troy-Bilt.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Only selling Troybilt tillers, not the other junk. I do remember when Troybilt was all top-of-the-line stuff. MTD turned Troybilt into their "cheap" line, just like Toro turned Lawnboy into their "cheap" line.
    The Troybilt tillers are still pretty tough machines, especially the larger models.
  6. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

Well I have the mower now. So far I like it. I really didn't give a crap about the name, I just wanted a mower with a Honda engine, and this was the cheapest one I could find. I believe it will suite me well for my limited needs.
  7. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Troy-bilt 21 with a 5.5hp Honda. I got it 2 years ago, and have been mowing commercially with it ever since. I am waiting for day it breaks on me. Change the oil, spark plug, and air filter often and you might get the same luck I have.
  8. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

MTD makes toro lawn tractors. I know I work in a plant here in town in the winter.
    cubs, and cub commercial, toro garden tractors, white, troy bilt, yard machines, yardman, bolens, and GE washers and Dryers

All big block mowers listed above are made and assbled in martin, tn.
    big block any thing 18 hp and above.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a Troybilt 21". I don't care for it. It runs fine and starts on the first pull. BUT, the entire machine will flex and cause the blade to hit some of the plastic parts under the deck. I did however pick up another Troybilt 21". It was free though, and almost brand new. I rarely use a 21, so it is fine for now.
  10. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

While I don't disagree with your mower choice (any mower would have done for the amount of hours you will put on it during a season), the real issue with mowers is never the engine. It's the wheels, handle bars, self propulsion (if applicable) that will always fail on you way before the engine. I've run 21in for four years now (at least 45 hours a week of just mowing, not including trimming, blowing, etc.) and the engines have never failed on me. To add my two cents in though, the best residential mower I've tried is the snapper. Great mulching, excellent side discharge and more importantly, has the longest lifespand of any mower.