Troy-Bilt 33" Wide Cut 8.5hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EFost, Jul 26, 2008.

1. EFost

EFost LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on this mower? I am looking at one with the mulching only deck? I had one for the last 10 years with the side discharge deck has anyone used the mulching only model?

Thanks,

Eric

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

THey are OK,but they are by no means a commercial machine.I have 2 of them including a prototype since I lived near the original factory and I did a test for the engineers and got to keep it when done

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I had one also several years ago....the mulching part was okay. The plastic gears for the belts and light deck and handles needed work. But all in all we mowed with it for several years and it sure beat using the 21" units.

4. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Sears version of this mower and I've cut a lot of grass with this mower . Still works fine as long as you use it to it capabilities and actually stripes pretty well .

5. EFost

EFost LawnSite Member

Hi Milkie 62, do you want to sell one of them? I live in Albany?

Thanks,
    Eric

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one when I first started, it didn't hold up very well. I would suggest spending the extra $$ and getting a 32"-36" exmark/scag/bob-cat, ect.

7. olazabel

olazabel LawnSite Member

I bought a 33" troy bilt with the mulching deck for $350. at the beginning of this season. Its not as rugged as a commercial mower, but I've been using it on smaller lawns for months and had no problems.

Overall its a really good mower for the money. They're on ebay all the time, and usually sell for low prices.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Troy Bilt builds crap...owned by MTD.

8.5 hp is not nearly enough to mulch anything on a 33' deck....get real.

My 32" eX metro is a mulcher and I wish it had more than its 15hp kawi!!

9. olazabel

olazabel LawnSite Member

the older troy bilt widecuts like the one I have were made before troy bilt was bought out by mtd and are pretty good quality. I/C engines, and pretty durable.

the 8.5 hp is plenty and lawns usually look very good (unless you are mowing several weeks worth of growth)

They were not built as commercial mowers

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

That's because the Exmark kit is a band aid and the blade has too much lift. Look at the new Walker mulch deck, best technology in mulching decks available. Cut your lift down and make a few changes to your deck and 15 horse would be a monster engine. I Mulch with a 14 Kaw single on a 36" deck and HP is not a issue. A angle grinder is your friend.