Troy-Bilt Sickle Bar Mower Parts

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Saxman, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

I have two 42" Troy Sickle mowers I use in my business for overgrown areas. I need to find a supplier for sickle sections and rivets for the cutter heads. This mower is not made anymore and the parts are drying up. It is a German cutter head and uses metric sections and rivets. Anybody got a source for these parts? They are great machines that will cut anything, I hate to junk them for a lack of parts.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

How about a troybilt dealer.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model numbers and I'll see what I can dig up.

4. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

The blade service kit is 1766766 which is the Troy bilt part number. I was hoping to find a supplier of generic sections and rivets. Yes I have tried Troy bilt dealers, most didn't carry parts when the machines were in the line up. Now some parts are available from MTD on-line but they are very expensive. I would think the company that manufactured the cutter bar assemblies for Troy would have the sections and rivets but no luck yet

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 1994 Troy-Bilt sickle bar mower w/4HP Briggs engine and finding parts for it is a real pain. Luckily, I found a dealer in Vermont (near my second home) that still has the parts I need. Troy-Bilt stopped making sickle bar mowers a few years ago.

6. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

Well I have done some checking on the phone today. ESM is the German firm that made the cutter bar assemblies for these units. They told me that Troy bilt (MTD) has an exculsive contract for the parts and they cannot sell directly, a person must purchase the sections from MTD. I went on the MTD site and the blade maintenance kit ( 1766766) is not available. I will call MTD tomorrow and see what they say.

7. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

All I have to say is stay off any troy-bilt site... especially MTD :)

I called them for a hose for a pressure washer... $578.00 She double checked with their supplier..... $578.00.

8. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I goofed on the price..... I was a little high. This is from the MTD price online..

You might take a look here though, they do list parts for the sickle bar mower. Maybe you can do better than me. :)

https://www.buymtdonline.com

9. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

I did call MTD's 800 number. It is true the blade maintenance kit is no longer serviced, you must purchase each part individually. The rivets (1768294) are $7.56 for a package of 12. The single sickle sections (1766758) are $11.49, and the double sections (1767069) are $16.48. I think the prices are out of line but what else can you do?

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Bite the bullet and junk the things !!!!!