1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Troy-Bilt ZTRs any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roger1, Aug 13, 2006.

1. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

Just purchased a new house am looking for a reasonably priced good quality ZTR for my 2 acre yard.

I read some info here that the Toro ZX480 (48", 20hp B&S) is a good quality machine for a homeowner. I found that they cost about $4,000.

I saw the 52" Troy-Bilt w/23hp B&S at Lowes for $2,899 and wondered if this was worth considering.

I don't mind spending the extra $1,100 on the Toro if it is really that much better.

Or, if you think I should choose something different than either of these, please share your opinions.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You really have to maybe use a little thought and step back and ask yourself first why one machine might be $1,100 cheaper even though it has a larger engine and larger deck. Think about the answer to yourself and you should be able to make the wright decision.

Demo both and see what you think. Is the Toro at a dealer, or box store?
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Do not buy a ZTR at any "big box" store. When it comes time for warranty, parts, or service, you are "up sh-t creek without a paddle". Support one of your local lawn equipment dealers. you will not regret it, even if it costs a few dollars more. It will be worth it in the long run. Besides Toro, other good quality manufacturers of homeowner ZTR's to consider are: Hustler, Gravely, Ariens, or Simplicity. you will not go wrong with any of these brands. a couple of years ago, Consumers Reports listed the Toro Timecutter ZTR machines very low in one of their tests.
  4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

He mentions the Timecutter model because it is very similar if not the same as the Troy Bilt you are considering. Just ask both stores to let you atleast drive them. I guarantee you will feel the difference. The Troy Bilt probably has tiny tires for a bumpy ride, the same style deck as all the cheap retail store ZTRS, and the parts in the Toro would be much better quality. I'm sure it has a stronger frame and better hydros. I think you should definetly see how they both feel to manuever.

-Nick Howard
  5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

i got a cub cadet with the 42" and 17hp ztr from tractor supply.this thing is a piece of sh*t. it has two blades instead of 3 so it skips grass. mtd makes cub cadet and troy bilt. so i wouldn't get either

maybe if it's 3 blade it will work better

good luck
  6. roger1

roger1 LawnSite Member

Yea, I'll buy it from a local dealer. You are right. Thanks.

I noticed that Toro makes 2 lines of "Timecutter" ZTRs. The Z and the ZX. I am figuring it was the Z model that scored low. They say the ZX is a "professional mower made for homeowners".
  7. CletusT

CletusT LawnSite Member

I have the ZX480 and use it to cut 1.25 acres of grass. So far it has been awesome. I use it as a mower/ bush hog and it has had no problems so far this year. I can't say how long it will last, but it looks to be built very solid. I have definitely abused mine and it still cuts very well. I cut grass yesterday right after the sprinkler system went off and it even cut well in the wet grass with no clumping.
  8. jeffreyml

jeffreyml LawnSite Member

I recently purchased the Toro Timecutter ZX525 and it is awesome. No problems at all with tall or wet grass, nice even cut at full speed and performs flawlessly. I just installed the mulch kit yesterday and tried it out, the cut is just as good or better than discharging the clippings. I like that the mulcher doesn't deposit any visible clippings around my landscaping. I've used it on steep inclines with 1-2 ft grass and it performed much better than expected. All this for only $4800 out the door delivered. I looked at the Hustler, Ex-mark, Cub Cadet, Troy Built and others and this was the best fit for me. I just couldn't see spending 2-3 thousand more for the same equipment. :drinkup:
  9. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude....I have the 50" version.

There is no comparrison between two. The 42" looks SMALL
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Ariens and gravely make good machines. I worked with a guy who had one.