1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Troy Built 2 Cycle String Trimmer - eng start

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fjg683, May 6, 2006.

1. fjg683

fjg683 LawnSite Member

The last trimmer I had with John Deere gave me fits until an experienced mechanic informed me that the directions were faulty... that he'd argued the point with manafacturers... He got me on the right path.

I've moved, haven't the mechanic around, and purchased a new trimmer. Started first time like a champ. Second week, no go. Not even a gasp. Checking the plug I find it completely dry, which is really puzzling.

Instructions go;

1. prime 10 times slowly
    2. put in choke position 1
    3. pull cord five times.
    4. put in choke position 2
    5. pull cord until start. If no go, start at top again.

Any help out there? Lesson finally learned - buy from dealer that supports products.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Since you checked the plug after you did allthat pushing of the bulb and it wasn't wet with fuel the unit may need fuel. If there is an adjustment for carb open it up ccw half turn. Maybe check to see if you got spark first. Maybe the off/on is stuck off.
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

where did you buy this TB from? Lowe's????? if it is fairly new (sounds like it may be from your post) i would request my money back.
  4. fjg683

fjg683 LawnSite Member

I'll give it another crack. It has a spring loaded on-off switch that keeps the engine on until you want to shut it down. Tried that back and forth regardless. But I had not checked for spark on the plug pulled out.