Troy Built 30" Mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any experience with this mower? It has a 15 HP Briggs motor. Looks like a good deal at 850.00.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I think S R pricing is ballpark $1500 My buddies love these machines.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Is it a walk behind? I've seen the 33" 9 hp mower but not a 30" 16hp.

4. a+elawnserviceww

a+elawnserviceww LawnSite Member
    from nj

can i say i know someone how also does about 60 by 100 feet yards about 60 a week with a 30'' Troy Built mower. he said he have to replace part all the time. he is always put money out to fix it. cut deck is all dent up.

if you take look at it it is for homeonweruse. look at the frame of the deck on that than look at the one on a Commercial mower the commercail mower deck is much thicker and stronger. to show how strong it is canpare the weight with a commercail mower.
    also when you need part they are hard to get because a company over sea bought troy built out, homelite and a how bunch of other company.

5. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

save allittle more and you could buy a better 36" (the sponser) i don't personally own one but the look a hell of a lot better than any troy built :cool2:

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a Troy Bilt Mower once, hated it. Every two weeks something was broken on it (Seriously). It had some clever features, but simply wasn't built heavy enough for commercial use.

7. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used the Troy-Bilt mower for years mowing, but I only put maybe 4 hours on them weekly for back gated lawns. I didn't have any big problems with them. They are the only walk behind mowers I ever used, until I got a Bunton 36". I use Z's for the large areas. Never heard of a 30", 15hp made by Troy-Bilt. MTD bought Troy-Bilt out years ago.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My partner has a Troybilt 33" that he used for many years before we merged. He had good luck with it as long as he did not let his help run it. They are not heavy duty, and are kind of fragile. The help would always tear something up on it. Biggest problem is the overlaped, timed blades. If you hit a stump or something, the deck belt jumps and the blades get out of time. They then crash into each other and that almost always trashes a spindle assembly.

9. ce2000

ce2000 LawnSite Member

I have the 33 inch Wide Cut Troybilt with the 9 HP Briggs & Stratton engine that I use to go through narrow gates. I bought it new in July 2000. I probably run it 8 to 10 hours per week. The biggest problem that I have with it is one of the pulleys on the V-Belt (drive belt) comes apart. It is just a steel stamped out pulley and one of the flanges breaks off. I keep a spare pulley in my tool box at all times. I can replace it on site in a short amount of time. It is the only pulley that I have trouble with. I have not had to replace the spindles yet. I also have a 44 inch cut Toro Walk-Behind with the 17 HP Kawasaki engine. I love the T-Bar on this machine and it has been a very dependable machine, just can't get it through a 36 inch gate.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Is this new? Only thing close that I've seen from them is the Wide Cut which is 33" and like 9hp and sells for around $1300 or so.
    Have a link or photo of the one you're talking about?