1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

troy built commercial mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelostbubba, Feb 24, 2005.

1. thelostbubba

thelostbubba LawnSite Member

some guy is selling a troy bilt 33" mulching deck commercail walk behind mower for 350. its 8 years old and has 300 hours on it. this guy told me he only used it to mow his one acre yard. he is selling it only because he moved to a sub division in the city and the mower is too big for his yard. is troy bilt a dependable mower? is this a good deal? any experiences with troy bilt mowers?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's not a commercial mower.
    Troybilt only makes homeowner stuff other than a few tillers.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We used one for about five years and it was okay as compared to 21" Snapper or lawnboy. I still have ours in the shed and if you want to buy it for repair parts contact us....mark@hesslawns.com. It has a 8 hp motor on it that still work. We are in Austin.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Troybilt doesn't make a commercial mower.
  5. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

Troybilt is owned by MTD and has never made a commercial mower!

That 33" mower is only average at best for homeowners....

6. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I'll offer another view. Yes, they are made for homeowners, although on mine the B&S engine does say "Industrial/Commercial". I've used mine on my own lawn for about 8 years and haven't had a bit of problem. I'm not saying that if you used it 4-6 hours a day that it will hold up, but I plan on continuing to mine for small backyards that only have a 36" gate (which means, "rarely").

On the plus side, it mulches pretty well, and it stripes GREAT. 4 forward speeds and 1 reverse. It also has a bagger you can buy, so you have the 3 choices of side discharge, bag, or mulch.

So, it all depends on what you want it for - everyday mower? No. Occasional use? No problem.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I have buddies that own them they seem to do okay.anything will work if you don't abuse it.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one of those 33" Troy Builts, it sucked.
  9. Kubota130

Kubota130 LawnSite Member

I have a Troy-Built 33' and i find it great use it quit abit your getting it for a good price too!
  10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Save your money.............