Troy built mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeMaupin, Mar 1, 2004.

1. MikeMaupin

MikeMaupin LawnSite Member

I have got a chance to buy a Troybuilt mower 33" briggs 9 hp walk behind mower for 800. I know what most may say and I must agree junk compared to a real WB, but I have a limited amount of money left that I can spend out right. I have got my trailer and bought a Snapper 21" commercial grade mower.It seems like a steal and I still plan on getting a real WB but I thought maybe this could help me be more productive and build more of a customer base while spending less this year, and lay away a 48 belt WB to have ready for next year.Should I take it and would it be good for being more productive and building my customer base while paying on the real WB for next year.The regular price is 1399 and its 800 now, all new and un used.Thanks

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would buy a good used walkbehind for 800.00. Alot of good one's out there.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

How large are the lots you're targeting?
    How many accounts do you have now?
    It's certainly "doable" if you can recoup the cost of the mower AND make enough money to set aside so you can pay cash for larger commercial walk-behind.
    However if your lots are larger ones,that 33" is going to work you to death.It'll be a great asset in the future for getting in gates though.
    Don't forget to look in the clasifieds for used equiment.Also,check with your local dealer for a "refurbished" walk behind that may be alittle old,but they've somewhat restored.They get equipment from folks who "thought" they wanted to get into lawncare,only to sell out their equipment at the end of the season.
    Buy cash whenever possible if you're just starting out.
    Just my .02.....

4. if you have heavy mowing to do besides the things s mentioned by nickN...that machine aint gonna hold up to the rigors .

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Check around for used commercial. For the eight hundred bucks you can find a good 36 inch belt that will take you thru this season and next season. Heck my mechanic has a 36 toro just repowered 14 kaw for 600. If the troy built has not improved since I had the misfortune of using one I believe you will be sorry.

6. honda

honda LawnSite Member

if this is true troy bilt and not mtd built be careful. for parts are very limited for they are no longer in business. mtd bought them out a few years back and do supply some parts but not all. the vendors destroyed the parts molds and it is not worth the re-tooling to make them . be very careful about parts for the unit

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We used a Troy for two years mowing residential. Even though the unit did a good job compared to our 21" I think I wouldn't suggest getting the unit. Buy a 32" Scag or Toro if you got gate width problems. The Troy doesn't have lock differential so on hills you have to put torque on unit to keep it straight. It can wear you out. The deck is fragile and you have to watch or if you hit against something it will give in and blades will hit on inside. The pulleys are plastic and they wore a lot. We also had trouble with one of the belts and had to get shorter belt to keep unit working.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

very tiring to use........it does not turn itself......it turns with people power not HP.......

Derek

9. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

It's a good little machine for what it is. I had one for awhile and used it for smaller residentials. It held up great until I had to hire employees. Within 6 months of letting someone else use the mower it was trashed. Just ain't tough enough. Bought my last used Toro 44 for $800. That was 4 years ago and I still use it.

10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it even qualify for a machine? or just a tonka toy?:rolleyes: Honestly, the wheels on them things are horrible for casters. saw a lady once a few houses down form one of my accounts, and every time she had to turn around, she had to man-handle the thing. I dont think they're worth the money, and they DEFINETLY are not built for commercial use. Maybe try one of the new billy goat 33" mowers if youre looking for something lower in cost? Heres a link and a pic: http://www.billy-goat.com/frame_mowing_line.html

fm3300-s.jpg