Troy Built Push Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mindset063, Mar 22, 2006.

1. mindset063

mindset063 LawnSite Member

I just bought a troy built self propelled mower to hit the spots my exmark
    can't get to. Has a 6.5 horse briggs... Will this mower last or did I make a mistake? :drinkup:

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I do something similar. I refuse to pay $1,000 for a 21" commercial mower.

Will it last? Well, if you take care of it should last a while. Will it last like a commercial mower. Probably not. However, it is not your main mower. You do not use it all the time. Even if it goes it doesn't matter. You can buy 2 or 3 for the price of 1 commercial. That jmo. Others will have a different opinion on this matter I am sure. Bottomline is do not feel bad about your purchase. It will work just fine.

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I also buy the troy-bilt mowers, they will last you a year easily. thats about it. i buy 2 in the spring, and about a month into the next season it's time to replace them. I think they are a good mower for the price, cut well and go pretty fast. self propeeled will be the 1st thing to go, i just push them till the motor goes.

4. golden child

golden child LawnSite Member

i'd stay away from the rear wheel drive mowers. i had to order new wheels at the end of last season. i bought a craftsman front wheel drive and that is primo for me.

5. mindset063

mindset063 LawnSite Member

Cool... My troy built is a front wheel drive. However... I would like it last me 2 or 3 years, not one

6. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I wondered the same thing abiout the toro personal pace. How long would it last? I think you can extend the warranty for a few bucks more. Then you'd have to lie to HD about the use. I couldn't do that...

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It is really difficult to say how long it will last you. You could buy a mower and it gives you problems right from the start. You could buy a mower and it runs like a champ. Also, it depends on how much you use it and how well you take care of it. Think about it in these terms. If you have 60 accounts that you mow every week, and your cut season is 30 weeks (I am just using easy round numbers). A homeowners model is only meant to really be cutting one lawn once a week. You have just put 2 years of use on that mower in 1 week of work. Multiple that by the number of weeks in your season. If you have a really heavy load and you use it a lot it is not going to last you that long. However, if you have the work. It lasts you a season or 2, or 3 at the price you made out. You said that it is to get in places where your Exmark can't get. That's telling me it is not going to be your main mower. Also, some spots would be just as easy getting with your trimmer than it would be to pull the 21 off the trailer. If you take care of it then it should last you a little while.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have a Toro PP that I paid almost 400.00 bucks for a couple of years ago.
    Now its practically junk on limited use......<(the drive parts). So I just took the transmission out from under it and made me a nice little trim mower. I wouldn't advise this method of thinking though. Should have bought a $125.00 21' murry to trim with.

9. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

I know a guy who has been using Murray mowers for 8 years for his business and never has had a problem.

In my opinion if your going to pay $300 or $400 bucks for a regular mower you might was well double that and go ahead and get a commercial mower, at least with the commercial you have a warranty where you can just take it to the dealer and get the problem fixed asap at no charge, unlike with a home depot or walmart mower you have to ship them the mower to use the warranty.