Troy Built

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.Henderson, Feb 13, 2001.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a Troy-Built 9 horse walk-behind? I priced one today at Lowes and it ran around $1395.00. I would appreciate any opinions on this as I am just startingout this year and about to purchase my first 33".

2. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I have one that has the mulch deck on it. I never have thought that it did a very good job. I wish it did, i would use it in a few yards.I have heard other people on hear that like there.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i was considering the troy built before i bought my first walkbehind. i am so glad i didnt go with it. my scag 48 inch walk behind has 5 speeds and cuts extremely well. this doesnt mean the troy built is bad, but in my opinion, you should spend a little extra money to get a 36 inch or 48 inch walk behind. you get more power, and a better cut with a commercial mower. the scag, or exmark are a lot more productive in my mind, and they will last longer

4. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

I have the Cub Cadet and its basically the same but with 8.5hp it cuts great and stripes pretty good i only use side discharge the mulching with it dont work so good. Overall its a great mower my first commercial one and its goin on 3 years even tho it dotn see much action now beacuse of my 48"
    but its great for backyards but it aint so good on hills

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

How do those plastic caster wheels hold up? They look like they'd brake easy.

6. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I bought a troybiult 5-6 yrs ago. What a mistake! It was in the shop at least 9 times before I could manage to sell it. It's just not set up to be used commercially . I have all exmark now and haven't had any problems.

Tom

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I have had excellent luck with the 33", but if I were to do it all over again I would look at a 36" Exmark, or something similar. For a little more money it may be worth it, but then again the Troybilt isnt a bad machine at all in my opinion, especially for the money.

8. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

hey j.hendersen i just happen to be in the QCA. i used to work at one of the garden centers that sold troy-bilt equipment. those troy -bilts aren't all that they are cracked up to be why dont you go see rob wolf over on hickory grove road in davenport. he sells all kinds of commercial equipment, but he also has a big commercial mowing business. good guy to work with.

9. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

ive used the cub for 21/2 yrs and im gonan porbably replace the wheels this spring they have sum wear but for 2 years that good the only other problem i had was the deck crakin and i broke a spindle well ran over a small pole so thats why

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Simply put.... the troy built is not a "commercial mower". You can not compare them to exmark or any of the real commercial mowers. Im sure a troy built would be just fine for a home owner but it just wont cut it for commercial use.