Troybilt 33" Blade timing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Danzo, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Danzo

Danzo LawnSite Member
    from Pa

:confused: Hello; i have just come by 33' .the price was right ,the problems are not. i put new blades on an have new belt.i set the belt to one blade at 9 to3 and the other at 12to6. but they keep hitting each other. is this the setting? Thanks for any help. trying to get it from the Co. is like no hope. Dan

2. Danzo

Danzo LawnSite Member
    from Pa

:blob3: tough one i guess;; Dan

3. Cut This!

Cut This! LawnSite Member

Dan,

According to the book, the blades should be perpendicular (90 degrees) to each other. One straight up and one straight across. If you remove the cover and look closely, you’ll see a small lever on the RH spindle. Loosen the four RH spindle bolts and use the lever (pull back toward operator) to tension the timing belt, then retighten the spindle screws. The manual says “moderate tension 8-12 lbs or about a half inch deflection at the midpoint).

Hope that helps.

4. Danzo

Danzo LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Thank you, did help. i had them set that way ,but when i started it the blades hit, the belt seem loose, the tighten part i did know. i was going to put a idler pulley on. i just got new belt and blades from mtd, its hard to get info on them now.thanks much Dan:D :D

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's timed right them maybe you could have a blade hitting the deck somewhere?

6. Danzo

Danzo LawnSite Member
    from Pa

The blade a hitting,the sparks fly. Its anew belt but is loose.i have to find that tension lever that was spoke of in the other post. i didn't ever see this. Dan

7. Cut This!

Cut This! LawnSite Member

Danzo,

If you can't find the lever, or if it has been removed, you can still adjust the belt. The important thing is that the Right Hand spindle uses slots to mount. The LH uses round holes. The slots are not very long (or the blade can be moved over and hit the deck) but should be long enough to get the proper tension.

Loosen the foru RH spindle mounting bolts and "Pry" the spindle outboard as far as possible, hold it and retighten the bolts. That's the best you can do.

If you have a new belt the only other thing to do is look closely at the sprockets to make sure they have all thier teeth. If they have all their teeth and you have a new belt and it still hit's, I'd call the factory service department.

But don't let the blades it or you'll do a lot of damage.

Ohh -- are the blades level or has the deck been bent once before?

Good luck!

8. Danzo

Danzo LawnSite Member
    from Pa

It don't have lever but this weekend i'm going for the pulley and see if i can move over. the blades are on the deck straight, now that you gave me something to for i will get it, one way or another. Thanks for your help. Dan

9. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Is it a cogged (timing) belt or just a regular V belt? If it is just a regular V belt the blades are to long for your application. The only way blades will stay in time is if it is using a cogged belt with cogged gears the way the OLD Cub Cadets used to do back in the 60's. Normally decks are set up with the blades a little offset (one farther forward than the other). Than you use blades that will litterally over lap but won't hit unless they are too long.

10. Green' Go

Green' Go LawnSite Member

I realize I am reviving a 6 year old thread but I just used this that I found through the thread search to fix my 33 wb that just destroyed a set of blades. This saved me alot in shop fees and I kind of enjoyed working on my own stuff anyways.