Troybilt 33" for $500...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, May 29, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Went and looked at this machine this morning. It's 2 years old, electric start, mulching deck only, but in perfect shape other then one caster wheel on the front has a chunk missing but still rotates just fine.

I did a search and came up with pretty good opinions of this mower even though it's not commercial grade. My use for this mower would be to replace the 21" I have to use on a couple backyard situations due to gates. And a couple steeper slopes that I could do straight up & down, going sideways may be tough due to the drive system on this mower.

Is it worth the $500? Looks like they sell for around $1400-1600 new. I run it around his yard and it puts down some nice stripes.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hell ya, I bought on new four years ago and it's still going. They are great for getting in to gates, keep the deck clean they tend to build up.

3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a buddy that just picked one of those "Wide Cuts" (33") electric starts up. He paid $2400 plus tax here for it. He loves it as a homeonwner. I also Know for a fact that there is a very reputable company in Mississauga that uses the 33" troybuilts as their walk behinds (NewBella their called). So if they use them I am sure you will have no problems.

I was acutally surprised when they drove by and had the troybuilts on their trailer. These guys also have some pretty nice equipment in their compound.

4. Green & Clean

Green & Clean LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I bought a used Troy Bilt 33" last year for use on some mid- sized yards. I wasn't very happy with the cut quality until we started cutting lower in the fall. It cut better at a lower setting. (I love that quick and easy height adjustment). I now double cut any area that needs to look great- front yards, near walkways, etc. I can't complain about the mower because I paid about the same. Keep the blade sharp, under the deck clean, and be prepared to make some minor repairs. It is not built to hold up to every day use.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hay Bay Is that $2400 in US dollars or CAN.? The Lowes here sells them for $1000.00 brand new.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

TRUST ME>..

THE THING IS TRASH.

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Use the 500 towards a REAL walkbehind. Mine is for sale.

trevore

7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I too was a bit leary about this product, That is why I don't own one. But I didn't want to bash something I haven't tested.

Yes Canadian Dollars. PMLawn.

8. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

I bought one of these the first year they came out. I guess that was about 1993 or so. Actually, dad bought it cause i was in 6th grade. I used it on my 5 neighborhood lawns and it worked great. Just keep the blade sharp and the deck clean. It should work fine. The one we had was just sold recently and still running strong with the 8.5 HP briggs. Not commercial grade, but good enough for a trim mower and such.

-Rich

9. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

There is a difference in Troy Builts. The older ones were manufactured by GardenWay and were pretty good quality. I had a 38" GardenWay lawn tractor that was a great homeowner model. I have an 8hp chipper vac also garden Way and it is very dependable. Only problem is GardenWay parts are harder to find. $500 bucks seems to be a bargain if the mower is in excellent condition. Offer 4 and maybe split the difference.

10. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I got to try a 33" troybilt last year. It had a 9 hp honda engine on it that was put on by the local dealer here in Mississauga, Ontario. I liked its light weight, easy manueverability and mulching capability. Yet, I did not like the cut quality. Rather than lifting the grass for a clean cut, it seemed to push the grass over. My toro proline 21" leaves a much superior cut. The dealer also said to be careful because so many parts were easily breakable.

Hay Bay,

I didn't know that Nu Bella landscaping used the troy bilts. That's interesting. Where is their compound?