Troybuilt lawn tractor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by plumlazy, Nov 23, 2007.

1. plumlazy

plumlazy LawnSite Member

iam trying to remove the rear wheels on a 97 Troybuilt lawn tractor . I removed the bolt from the center of the axle ,but the wheel will not come off. What is the proper way to get them off . HELP lol

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Good Ole MTD ....

Spray the heck out of them with penetrating oil, Especially the inside and let it sit over night. Go back out with a 2 ft. long 2x4 put it on the inside of the wheel near the axle and smack it with a BFH but don't go crazy with it.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

C-4

They get rusted on and it takes lot to get them off somethings. Be careful trying to pull the wheel off. I have seen people pull the axle right out of the transmission trying to get a wheel off. You can do this. First get a can of WD-40 or something like it and spray it very good. Let it soak over night if you can. Then try to pull it off. Now here is a little trick I have used before. On some wheels the rim have two holes. Using a puller like the one below you can pull the rim off the axle. Be careful not to mess up the end of the axle because you do have to bolt the rim back on some day. If there are no holes in the rim you will have to drill them. Good luck

puller.gif

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, if you get too rough with it, I have had the keeper inside the trans. fall apart. Then the whole wheel ,axle and all pulls out of the trans. and you are in a heap of trouble.

5. Restrorob

BTW,

If you are only repairing flat tires/installing tubes the tires can be broke down and removed from the rim right on the unit, Have done many this way rather than fight the dang wheels off.

Heck, I've even replaced the driveshaft/gear assemblies in these with the wheels/tires stuck on.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Have you ever had to rebuild the transaxle with the wheels still stuck on the axles? I had to get some 2X4s and build a frame to hold one so I could rebuild it with the wheel still on it. Now that is fun.:cry:

7. Restrorob

That's what I'm talking about, MTD calls the bevel gear shaft a "drive-shaft".

I stack 2x4's under it to support the lower case half, It's a pain but easier than dealing with those freakin wheels.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I generally talk people out of rebuilding those transmissions. The tractors are junk to start with and I hate to see them put more money into a piece of junk like that.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen. I know people like to bash craftsman but they are 10 times easier to work on. Alot of time's we have to make the customer buy a new (or good used) rim when they need the tires replaced and can't get the damn rim off. Have had to use a torch many of times to just cut the rim off. And don't even get me started on the deck belt tensioner spring. MTD SUCKS!!!

10. Restrorob

Just wondering Mowingman, How do you tell a customer their 2 1/2 year old machine is not worth repair ?

We all know what these things are but the customer doesn't....

I don't rebuild them any longer, If the customer wants it fixed they pay in advance for a complete trans-axle so we're not stuck (customer doesn't pick it up) with more money in the unit than it's worth.