Tru-cut reels and turf groomers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Dec 6, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

Can I put a trurf groomer on the back of my Tru-Cut pro 20S?

is so where do I get it.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'm assuming you mean the roller comb that goes on the front to stand up the turf before you cut it because a turf groomer is a broom and tine rake set up you pull with a utility vehicle. The combs come standard on greens mowers like the JD, Jacobsens and Toros but I have never seen one on a normal reel mower before. Big difference between a greens mower and a normal reel. If you have a place that distributes golf course supplies and equipment in town ask them.

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

No, not really.
    The turf groomer you are referring to is a powered combing mechanism - it is spun off of the power to the reel.
    I see several problems adapting a Tru-cut.
    1. The machine isn't worth it
    2. The structural integrety of the unit would be compromised due to the design of the machine. The reel is what keeps the frame together and the bedknife keeps everything more or less square. Torque from the additional pulley mounted on the reel would likely alter the reel to bedknive relationship.
    3. Most Tru-cuts have a chain driven reel with the pulley on the inside of the frame, and the shaft for the reel doesn't have enough material to weld a ancilliary pulley for the groomer mechanism.
    4. Even if you were able to mount a groomer, they are not mean't to be used on a daily cutting basis - so you would be messing around with a machine with additional weight and appendages just waiting to break.
    Now, this is just my in put-take it for what it is worth. However, I have been repairing and grinding turf equipment for a long time.
    It would be MUCH easier and cost effective to purchase a Jacobsen 22" or larger PGM walk behind mower with the groomer attachment already on it.
    Call your local chapter of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, GCSAA - and put the word out you need this equipment.
    Or, PM me and I can provide leads to brokers that can get this equipment for you.
    Good luck
    Steve