Tru Green/Chemlawn Lighting??

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Indiana Outdoor Lighting, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Indiana Outdoor Lighting

Indiana Outdoor Lighting LawnSite Member

My buddy with a sign shop told me that the local TruGreen/Chemlawn has ordered signs to promote landscape lighting. I believe that Indianapolis will be a test market for the new product line.

Has anyone heard about this? What product will they carry, etc?

I think that a strong promotional effort by TruGreen may be good for all of us.

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Jeez, you had to go and ruin my night. Another big time organization is branching off into the lighting biz? Great!
    No, I don't think this will be a good thing because this is going to be just another example of big corporations that pay minimum wages to their employees to install sub-standard lighting systems. This is right up there with Malibu offering low voltage lighting equipment right out of the big box stores that is low caliber, low cost, and gives the true professional (and the industry in general) a very bad name. Yes, because of the size of their company, they will gain a great market share of the business around here. That is very sad because it means more confusion for the consumer, and a harder sale for guys like us.

3. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

when your good you aren't scared of anyone or anything coming into your marketplace.

4. Chris J

Pete, shut up and check your PM.

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Chris,
    Trugreen will have their own line of lights, not only will they light your grass but they will have a built in pop up emmiter to fertilize your yard from the same fixture. This will eliminate the need for a service call later to fertilize. HMMMM, I might be on to something.

6. Chris J

Yeah, the same valve will irrigate, illuminate, and fertilize your lawn; all from the same pop-up nozzle! This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. Big companies trying to inovate new ways to streamline the process and increase their profits. They will make it sound really inovative and cutting edge, but in the end I will be the only one that answers the freakin phone when it comes time to service the stupid stuff. No thanks, I have enough of that type of junk in my territory already.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It makes no business sense for trugreen to be doing this, it does not mesh with thier current employees or trucks, and they will have to do massive training, inventory investment, and truck purchases. I'm sure they will market this to thier current spray customers, but who will do the installs? the spray guys? nope, they are already spraying 48 weeks out of the year on average.

This business expansion will cost them plenty and their prices will reflect that. They'll probably have good branded lights, and they will spend some bucks to advertise and get bids. Their overhead will be way higher than us, so they can't give the lights away. If they use cheap lights and transformers, this will pay off for us in 2-3 years anyway when those systems fail.

The secret here is to be poised to be the 2nd bid some folks get for comparison. be in the yellow pages under outdoor lighting or lighting consultants, or direct mail so folks have your postcard in front of them every 3 months. If you focus on being a lighting specailist, not a spray company that installs lights, a good salesman should be able to get the job.

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Well said Dave.

9. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Lets get even.......we all throw broadcast spreaders in the back of our trucks, undercut them and put down some low cost fertilizers!

10. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

Tru Green will not have their own line of lighting. I know this because we are supplying them with their lights. They may eventually try to get their own lights but who knows what will happen. Indy and columbus are their test markets. I truly, after thinkig abou tit for quite some time, think it will be great for the industry in these markets. They wil be spending huge amts of money on marketing, billboards, postcards, etc...and expose lighting to people who never really thought of it.

At this point they wil be targetting columbus Ohio and Indianapolis very very hard. PM me with any other questions.