Truck Advertisement - Yes? or No?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I want an enclosed trailer....but didn't have the start up cash....and at this point am very happy I bought an open. I have plenty of new mulch jobs and couldn't see loading a pallet of mulch into and enclosed trailer.

But with that being said, I like the idea of a nice logo and phone number on an enclosed clean trailer. Yes, I could put a sign on my open but not the same in my hubble opinion.

My question is - do you feel the enclosed trailer WITH logo and phone number is worth the cost alone. My open trailer is very clean and nice looking but doesn't give the professionalism as a detailed closed with professional artwork.

Opinions from either would be appreciated.

Not picking sides. They both have their place...this is from an "new accounts from advertisment point of view" please.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I bought an enclosed trailer out of necessity. I am so glad I did, because I got my truck and trailer lettered up and I have a rolling billboard. I have gotten so many compliments and quite a few calls.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I agree that an enclosed trailer sure looks the best lettered up. But no matter what you have you should have it done up with your info. It's cheap mobil advertising.
  4. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have several open trailers as well as an enclosed. In addition, we have two nice, clean trucks.

I don't advertise on any of my equipment. Why?

1. Theft

2. Possibility of accidents - people are much more likely to sue if they realize that they were hit by a company vehicle (I've even heard of people stomping their brakes in front of company vehicles with the intention of being rear-ended in order to sue)

I do sometimes wish that I could have the advertising of "rolling billboards," but, in the long-run, am more comfortable without the added anxiety that lettering would bring.

Just my .02....
  5. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Huh....never gave that any thought. Thanks!
  6. My 2 cents...

Enclosed trailers weigh much more... More gas - at the current $3.65 - and it's only getting higher.

Enclosed weight is also more strain on your truck's engine, tranny, etc... more repair/maintenance costs.

Open trailers are MUCH cheaper and do the exact same job as an enclosed - which is haul your equipment.

a 4'X4' professional aluminum sign in multiple colors should only be $250 or less. Personally, I'd rather spend the money there than on a heavier, costlier and more maintenance-sucking item like an enclosed..

BUT - which will be more SAFE where you're at? If you run a higher risk of theft in your area - it's a no brainer...
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

You will wnat to do research on your area......

Arouind larger Cities there are tons of horor stories of people causing accidents with trucks "and trailers" with ad's on them...

Simply because they know you have a ton of insurance...

Just do research in your area to see if this is happening..... you can pull accident reports from the local PD.

it's not going on in all areas but some it is ...

Good LUCK
  8. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I got a 7x14 trailer enclosed and I am doing the lettering on it for only $450 with my cousin. My F250 pulls the enclosed trailer perfectly fine and doesnt have any problems. I also like the idea of an enclosed trailer because since I run my business from my house all I do is back it in to the driveway and thats it. I dont have to worry about weather like rain or anything like that.
  9. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Good advice. Thanks!