Truck Advice >> Special Purpose: need your expert opinions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mdvaden, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Please share your advice and opinion for the selection of a pickup truck. This would be a special purpose: going into forest parks WITH and WITHOUT a small cargo trailer. I'm posting on lawnsite, because I think the landscape contractors between work and outdoor activities probably are the biggest pool of expert opinions. Some of you folks haul ATVs and some of you have fleets of trucks.

Preferrably NOT something as big and fuel consuming as a full size Silverado or a Dodge Ram with BIG V-8's. Below are things to consider:

- 4 passenger preferred

- fuel economy over 20 MPG on the highway

- if needed, pulling 5' x 8' cargo trailer with 600 lbs of gear

- often, driving on gravel or dirt roads

- good amount of open highway driving too

If you needed a pickup to do those things for your work on a regular basis, what make and model would you prefer. Hoping for the best fuel economy possible, but not at the expense of reliability. Could be compact too.

If an SUV - consider towing reliability. But open to suggestions.

If enough good replies are posted, I may email this to someone who would need the information. Thanks much.

I may bump this from time to time.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, a Toyota Tacoma would be an ideal choice. But I don't buy anything but American so I'd probably buy a comparable Ford Ranger or Chevy S10 or Dodge Dakota. Of those, I suppose I like the Dodge Dakotas the best. Any of the above options will meet most of those requirements you have.

Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but the Toyota is probably the most ideal for your specs. I've had my truck in the shop a few times over the years and rented one for anywhere from a day to a few weeks and I always hated to give them back to the rental company because I loved them so much. But again, I don't buy anything that's not American made so there is a conflict there for some....

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I drive a Crew Cab Chevy Colorado 4x4. Can hold 5, but 4 is way more comfy. Unloaded I get 18 city/22 Highway. has a tow rating of 4000 lbs. Anything would be good on gravel roads, but I have plenty of clearance for anything short of true heavy offroading.

I wanted to get the Tacoma version of what I have, just could not get myself to drop the many thousand more it would have cost me for a comparable truck.

4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

What about a 4 door Wrangler? V6 and 3500 lb towing capacity.

5. mdvaden

Hadn't thought of that one. Will need to Google it. Not even sure who owns them anymore. Been around a while though.

6. mdvaden

Checked out the Jeep Wrangler - apparently the fuel economy on the freeway is not much better than the V8 in my full size Chev Quad cab.

7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Ford 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 deisel short bed. Itll tow your trailer with plenty of power to spare. Btw..... put a winch on the front, ya never know whats going to happen in the woods!

8. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

9. AVLC

AVLC LawnSite Member

i would say crew cab chevy colorado plenty of power with the straight 5 will tow it no problem and will seat 4 comfortably. the tacoma is probably the next best choice but a lot more money. i only buy chevy their workhorses

10. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Sadly, the truck you need isn't offered in this country, thanks to our overbearing EPA reglations and marking focus upon getting Americans into the biggest trucks possible, whatever the cost. Check out the following link, it may suprise you...

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Common&cid=1178864285216&c=DFYPage&site=FOA

If enough people started letting companies know they would like a turbodiesel compact truck, that might even get around 30 mpg, we might start seeing them here. This is a brand-new Ranger, and Ford seems to care less about getting it to us. Let's get it here!