1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck Advice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by evergreen_lawncare, Oct 22, 2006.

1. evergreen_lawncare

evergreen_lawncare LawnSite Member

Hi, do any of you guys drive a 2006 Dodge 1500 Hemi? Does the MDS system make a big differnece when towing? I am about to purchase one and would like to know what you think about it? I appreciate any help!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think that for a work truck, it would be a better idea to acquire a truck you can afford (pay cash for), that is, unless you are paying for it in full. First the payments will eat you, then the higher insurance rates exist as well.

I further believe that all or most all 1/2 ton trucks are geared just like cars, meaning that despite seller assurances to the contrary, they're really not designed to pull more than a thousand pounds or so. Proof of this is in the pickup trucks on the road today: Most full-size pickups that are used mainly for transportation are 1/2 tons, while more work trucks are 3/4 ton and better, likely due to transmission issues, the folks who have used 1/2 ton trucks for hauling soon learn that over the course of 10-20,000 miles, the 1/2 ton's transmission (or clutch) is not strong enough (doesn't have enough torque).

I bought my 1986 D-250 for $1,400, paid for it and have been enjoying a low tax rate (yes, we pay property tax on our cars in va), a very nice minimum liability insurance policy ($300 / year), plus a pretty reliable truck that has left me stranded once and overall cost 500-700 / year in maintenance, this 20-year old truck has been in my service for 4 years.

Lacking great features such as cruise control, radio or a/c, it is definitely a 'work' truck. Although I do miss these creature comforts, it also keeps things highly profitable. When the truck gets hit (dented), I don't cringe... I don't like the dents, but it also doesn't kill me inside.

Not to say you should buy such an old truck, but I am leaning towards a 3/4 ton that isn't brand spanking new (say 5-10 y.o.), and if you have the cash to pay for it, that would be even better. This is without taking into consideration your years in business, which would only make my point stronger.
  3. evergreen_lawncare

I will be paying for the truck in full. The advice of an older truck is good which I have highly considered. I am looking at a 2500 over a 1500, I am just really curious to know if the MDS system makes much of a difference overall. I have delt with a lot of landscapers/lawn care persons that have towed with the 1500 and have had no problems at all with it. That is why I started looking more towards the 1500 rather then the 2500. I would like advice from people who currently run 06' dodge 1500 and how they like the truck. I appreciate any replies. Thanks.
  4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 04 1500 4x4 quad cab Hemi and traded it for a 3500 (single rears) with the cummins.
    I'm here to tell you that I strongly recommend you pick up a 2500 or 3500 with the diesel. Here's why...
    Much more load carrying ability.
    Far better resale.
    The engine will have paid for its self in fuel savings around the 40,000 mile mark.
    MUCH better brakes.
    The rear axle is far stronger, and uses a different bearing/hub design.
    The front axle is the straight solid type... and you can mount a plow on it if you want. The 1500's are not rated for plowing.

My hemi had much more engine than it had anything else. It could pull a trailer that it could not stop, and it didnt take much dirt or rock in the bed to over-tax the rear end.
    At 54,000 miles my hemi was ready for its third set of front brake rotors.

With a plug-in module, the diesel will outrun the hemi anyway.
    Depending on the module, you can see 425hp and 750 ftlbs, and it takes 30 seconds to plug it in.

The 1500 hemi is the homeowner version of trucks (all 1/2 tons are).
    Go with the 2500, or even a 3500... you will not regret it.
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Anybody who runs a 2006, 2005 truck, mowing lawns, hauling trailers is insane! What the point? Shiny truck with $3-400 dollars monthly payments and let it sit and rot under the SUN? You know, sooner or later, that truck will get ding and dent and scratch. Lawn service with 2006 truck? make my day!!!
  6. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

Image is everything. :hammerhead:
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

After some more thought... I'm not certain that the MDS is on the trucks to begin with, it might only be on the Charger/Magnum and the Durango.
    So I posted the question to the guys who will really know about MDS and the Hemi... Dodge Truck World. Here is your thread..
  8. evergreen_lawncare

Thanks a lot for the reply. I did not realize they were not rated for plowing and I did hear issues about the rear end of the truck in the past. I think I am headed towards a 2500 which would be diesel if I did go that way. My father owns a large commerical equipment dealer and I do a lot of deliveries with the company truck (2005 GMC Duramx and Allison transmission chipped with bullydog rated at 450hp and over 700lb feet of torque) so I know what they are capable off. It will pull a 10,000+ load with ease with the chip. The brakes were another issue that slipped my mind which they do get really costly. I think I am going to go back to the dealer and take a look at a cummins. Thanks. Any more thoughts would be appreciated!
  9. evergreen_lawncare

The MDS system is only on the 06' hemi ram models. Dodge says that it will increase fuel economy by 20% and it should still be activated by towing. I just want to know if it actually saves fuel like they say it does. And thanks for the link..I will be looking for people to reply
  10. evergreen_lawncare

And yes...Image is Everything :)