Truck advise....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Kickin Your Grass, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to find pictures of Tj Justice (Justmowingit) truck set up. I am getting rid of my 16 foot trailer and 97 F-250 Gas gussler. I was looking to kinda have a set up like them. I have 2 Toro 21" and a Toro 44" ZTR. What would be a good truck for this. Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Dodge dakota maybe? How about just a 1500 pickup, either ford, chevy, or dodge wist a 6 cyl in it. JMO

3. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I havent decided if I want just a small 10' trailer or should I just get a truck with a custom bed.

4. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a trailer, you will definatly be more happy with it, alot more space

5. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Toyota once made a dually box truck. I've thought about using them instead of trailers. Good mileage and eliminate the need for a trailer.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

getting a Z on the back of a PU is going to be hairy unless you get a dovetail, but then you kill a bunch of space too.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We love our trailors and couldn't live without them. As for a truck, if it were me and costs weren't the issue, I would take a gander at the Chevy 2500 HD with the Allison tranny. We leased one for a bit and loved it, but hated the payments.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i have an s10 its great. dokota ranger also good to pull 10footers...even a 1/2 ton i know the new dakotas get like 15-city s10 get about 15-pullin...but i would deff go with a trailer and 5x10 6x10 would be perfect...i love what im runnin

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

how hilly is your area? i have a friend who has a 4 cyl ranger and pulls a 5x8 trailer with a jd 717a, 21" in the bed of the truck. it's no speed demon, but it does the job. another alternative would be an older f150 with a 300 straight 6.

10. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

You would definitely save a lot of gas with a Tacoma, especially the 2 wheel drive ones. They are low to the ground, so you shouldn't have a problem getting your equipment on. There are several companies that make custom beds for Tacomas- a guy I know has a flat bed on the back with a lot of surface area and would definitely be enough room for your equipment.