Truck and Trailer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by drlawncare, Mar 2, 2011.

1. drlawncare

drlawncare LawnSite Member

I got a quick question for u guys i have a 07 Chevy Silverado 1500 and was wondering if i can pull my 16 foot enclosed trailer and be able to put a 6 and a half dump insert in?Is this possible?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

It will be fine don’t go over weight. the next thing make sure you have your trailer brakes in working order.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Get a 1 ton dump. The half ton is too light. The weight of the insert will about max out you load limit.

4. drlawncare

OK i was a little worried because it is only a 1500 do u think i will need to get leaf springs what do you think about putting a plow on the front?

5. drlawncare

see thats what i thought i was just wanting some to make it easier to dump the grass

6. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

what engine do you have.

It will pull the trailer but pulling the weight all the time will result in alot more wear and tear such as breaks. The dump inserts aren't light, this will result in alot more wear in tear especially on the brakes suspension and drivetrain.

Plowing with a 1/2 ton some guys will say yeah it is fine to do. But talk o any suspension/frame shop. A reputable suspension comapany will be able to id which truck had been used for plowing. Even putting the heavy springs in front, you will still have alot of wear and tear in front from plowing.

7. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

I put a truck craft aluminum 6 footer in my 1500, and tow a 14 foot open trailer full of gear. The aluminum insert only ways like 400lbs, so with a good ad a leaf, and trailer brakes it made it through last summer fine. And I plowed all winter with it with a 7.5ft boss standard duty

8. drlawncare

ok well what kind of plow should i put on it i mean its only a 1500 did u have to put a lift on it

9. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

I'm quite happy with my 7.5 boss standard duty on mine, just added timbrens and cranked the bar's a bit. 800lbs of ballast helps too

10. drlawncare

ok thanks thats what i think that i will do