1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Truck batteries

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by IdealLawnCare, Jan 27, 2009.

1. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys buy the same brand of battery for you vehicles, and which brands does everyone buy?

My battery took a crap Monday so I had to make a choice on a new one today. I asked a few people and they said spend a few extra $$$$ and get a optima. I went to my local Sams club and got an Optima Red top for $139.00. They say the optima withstands the bouncing and jarring better because of a gel inside. I dont know but thats what I was told. Because I have a snowplow I would have bought an upgraded battery from standard anyway. What are everyones thoughts.

2. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

You made a good choice. I have to replace the standard Deere battery on my tractor due to the infamous "corrosion problem's" and I'll be using an optima. There completely sealed so it shouldn't be a problem now.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Interstate.

I'm sure the optima batteries are good though, never tried one to see how long they last.

4. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

Never tried one either, but I know my brother swears by them and says they last forever.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends on your needs & wants, and budget. IMO as long as you get a lifetime guarantee on the battery, and it has the proper CCA your good. Keep Fluid Film on the terminals you will have many years of good serviceThumbs Up.

I would consider the Optima Gel if I did not have to purchase two of them:cry:

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Optima Red or Yellow top. Florida heat kills batteries fast only 2-3 years max, I have a friend that's got one at least 6 years old now. I just bought one last year for my truck well worth the extra $60.

7. nosparkplugs

I still have the OEM batteries in my 02 Dodge, and the summer temp here in Memphis is 95-110. The extreme cold in northern Michigan would kill batteries, have not had heat do that yet. Two Optima batteries for my diesel, last time I checked was at least $250

8. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Well we all know OEM quality is tough to beat. I messed up there its actually the humidity that takes its toll on batteries, we don't get super hot down here 95 ish in the summer but we almost always get close to 100% humidity.

9. nosparkplugs

Memphis got 100% humidity too:laugh:

10. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I guess you got a good battery then. My OEM lasted almost 4 yrs.