Truck Bed Covers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you use bed covers? If so what are the advanages or disadvanages? If using one what are you using? Truck Caps or just a vinyl tonneau cover? Thanks for your input.
    Mowman

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think it would be a pain in the butt. It would be troublesome to put anything in it at the jobsite. Also it would be a pain doing these fall clean ups. I guess I like mine to be "open" all the time because I always have something back there. Rain is problem though.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I just got my f-250 tonneau cover yesterday. I got it strictly for looks. Yes it is a pain in the ass to remove and re install because it stays on with about 30 snaps. I plan to mainly use it in the winter when i wont be using my truck for work. For the 250 bucks it cost.. it was well worth it... truck looks great

4. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I am about done with my cover ...home made 1/2 angle iron.
    it's desinged to open from both sides one door on each.lockable and keeps the weather off.going to cover it with some 22gauge sheets it is shaped kinda like the roof of a house so far in the frame i have $75 in it can,t wait i hate not have the stuff in my truck bed scured like shovels, my main shovel in my arsenal are made by "The king of spades" i have four of these branded workers and when the cheapest one is $75 and they go up frome their their easy prey...yea $75 bucks for a shovel but their last a life time all steel my 5'.5" spade will yank out a bush with no problem and cut through roots in no time.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I use a shell on my mowing rig. I keep everything with me. Works great except the constant moving of things off of something else. After 5 years of total maintenance accounts I have it down to getting at things used daily very well. But, I am going to spend this winter making a rack and carrier system for everything in the back. Have said that for 5 years.

I was going to buy a enclosed trailer until I watched other companies moving everything out of the trailer to get to something, looked like a garage sell in someone elses front yard. I admit that nothing looks more professional than a nice enclosed trailer with some really good signage, but I think my setup works best for me.

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

On my pickup I have a cover. It is made of 4 rigid panels athat are hinged together. It flips forward 3 times ontop of itself and rests on the panel behind the cab. It came from Dodge with it. Big advantage is that when it is closed it locks into the tailgate giving you a big trunk. disadvantage is that it doesn't open completely like a soft cover would, but you can still put stuff under the cover as long as it isn't taler then the bed. I like it for the privacy and security. I haven't seen another one like it.

jeffyr