Truck belt area squeak...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Nov 15, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I've noticed lately that the belt area on my truck (6.0L) has a squeak between 1500 and 500 RPM's. It seems to be most evident on damp or rainy days, when the temp is colder. It isn't like a constant squealing, it's like a squeak that coencides with the speed of the engine. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, it's likely a pulley bearing or bushing gone dry.
    The easy fix but be dang careful, is to take a spray can with wd-40 and that silly little tube and CAREFULLY squirt a little wd-40 right into the pulley where it rides, not the belt but right about dead center where the bearing / bolt axle is, if you have more than one it might be best to try and isolate the guilty one.

The reason I say be careful is do NOT get wd-40 on the belt(s)!
    I suppose you could unhook that but I never have, now if that doesn't fix it well it only takes a minute anyhow.

3. mkwl

What's the best way to get into the pulley areas? Will WD-40 catch fire if I pverspray accidently?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Before you go spraying ANYTHING on a SEALED bearing remove the belt and by hand free spin any idler pulley(s) and the alternator, REPLACE which ever is making the noise. Sprays are nothing more than band-aids and will only last a short time.

5. mkwl

What's the best way to remove/re-install the belt? Is there a diagram online somewhere with the belt routing for my 6.0L V8 in my GMC? It looks pretty complex to me!

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there ought to be a sticker on your hood or radiator support showing the routing. I don't know your particular vehicle but typically they are shown on a sticker. Take a digi pic if nothing else.
    You may be able to de-tension the pulley with a wrench on the bolt or if it has a square drive hole in the arm to the pulley put a ratchet w/extension in the hole and turn. Again don't know GM's but I think it is typical.

7. Restrorob

Your right on the diagram decal 44DCNF, One other thing I forgot to mention above is once the belt is off spin the fan blade as well to check the water pump bearings.

8. mkwl

Found the sticker- which pulley do I take the tension off the belt from/how?

9. Restrorob

It has been a while since I seen one of these trucks but there should be a aluminum arm with a flat idler pulley mounted on the end of it. There should be a square hole in this arm to insert a square drive ratchet/breaker bar. Insert one of the two and pull/push on it to loosen the tension (it's spring loaded) enough to slide the belt off the side of the pulley.

10. mkwl

Okay, can a new (or old if it's okay) belt be installed from the top of the engine without taking anything more apart than taking off the air intake tube for easier access?