Truck breaking down with trailer attatched?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metz, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Metz

Metz LawnSite Member

so my big fear is that i'll break down somewhere with my trailer attatched. i know absolutely nothing about cars/trucks, and none of my friends/family have a truck with a hitch to help me out.
    so, my question is, can a tow truck tow a truck with trailer? if not, anybody got any suggestions/ideas to put my mind at ease?

2. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I was in a wreck with my trailer attached......the flatbed/tow truck pulled my truck onto the bed and pulled my trailer on it's(the tow truck) hitch.....just tell the tow company ahead of time so they can send that kind of truck...

3. Metz

Metz LawnSite Member

brilliant! thanks

4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

And of course it will happen around noon rush hour on the hottest day in August, on your busiest day after 5 straight days of rainouts. At which time you lose your composure and start kicking doors in, stabbing tires and dropping matches in the gas tank all while screaming obscenities in russian at the top of your lungs. This is why I bought a second truck.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't agree more, trucks don't pick the best of spots to break down for sure, I would first highly recommend starting on some maintenance with minor things like replacing the air filter, then move on to doing your own oil changes, and so on...

That's how I started, simple stupid stuff, spark plugs maybe, you know, just start with the simple stuff, build a toolset and so on.
    It takes time and years, but short of replacing or rebuilding an entire engine or transmission, there's little I can not do, I don't know how I would survive without this knowledge but even the best self-made mechanic can't always save himself. Still, knowing a little about it has saved me at least half the time.

Beyond that you will want to keep a reserve of about 1,000 dollars handy at all times, in addition you will want to start thinking about installing locks on your trailer, on the gate and on the tongue, too. And, some wheel chocks. Because what if the trailer gets a flat tire? Tow trucks that can load a trailer are expensive for one, and not always available for another. A regular tow truck can NOT tow a trailer behind the vehicle it is towing, even a flatbed can not do it unless it can load both onto the bed, a trailer can NOT hinder the tow in any way and sooner or later it may be the far cheaper or easier choice to simply leave the trailer where it is, for a few hours anyway.

The day my truck broke down hard it was in a nice neighborhood and I was loaded with work, so the truck HAD to be fixed and I had no clue as to what it could be. It cost me $250 with the tow, I left the trailer on the side of the road. Because I had to have it towed, and the only tow truck that wasn't tied up for the rest of the week was a 1-car flat bed, he was there in 30-45 minutes!
    The gate locked, the tongue latch locked, all that took was 3 padlocks.
    It broke down around noon, by 5pm I was back.
    How much would it have cost had I had to have the trailer towed, too?
    And where do we take this stuff, trailer to the house THEN the truck to the car shop?

In addition you might consider getting a locking hitch pin, this is more to prevent theft thou, my entire trailer locks to the truck, to the tongue, and the gates, too.

Oh yeah, this should go without saying, but never leave home without a cell phone.

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Not completely true, Just about every roll back has a wheel lift. There is an attachment that will pull a trailer on that wheel lift. Any towing company that does not have enough invested in its trucks to have a wheel lift on a roll back is not a company I would use.

7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

So far only once it was on my 1999 Ford F250 7.3 I pulled up to a red light and while waiting for light to change the truck just died like you turned the key off had my 16 ft GN landscaping trailer and our 2 scag Saber Tooths on trailer. So I called the only wrecker in town and told him where we was and that I was in the middle of the road and truck had died so he comes in his only wrecker he has a 95 Ford F 350 he was no thappy that her could not hook up from back due to the trailer. Towed unit to our house which is about 1.25 miles from red light and there we droppped trailer and he re hooked to truck from back end and towed it to the shop where they found that the IDM had gone out . THANK GOODNESS FOR THE 100,000 MILE WARRANTY .

8. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

Yeah...I could have sworn I saw my truck on the flatbed and my trailer being pulled behind the flatbed

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I had my long bed extended cab truck with a 18' trailer towed all together with a wrecker. I know at least a couple wrecker companies here that will do it local.

10. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

If you get stuck and find that there are no tow companies in your vicinity, that are capable of dragging whatever rig you happen to be driving...

THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS, then sell your business and start a tow company. You'd be guaranteed to do well.