truck broke down today...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Apr 4, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ok so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, i hear it now lol.

but you know, that's the first time in 5 years I've ever been completely stranded.

250 dollars, a tow truck, a repair shop, a credit card and 6 hours later, I was back up and running though... Too bad it was too late to do much else.

The culprit: manual fuel pump, dumb 20-30 dollar part but I couldn't figure it out, there was fuel spritzing... just not enough, i guess.

while we were looking, we noticed the crankshaft is a bit loose, causing pulley and belt vibration.
    of course, one lifter is defective and the tranny makes funny noises (always has).
    time to get a newer tool, soon.

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

you think you've got it bad, mine is in the yard cause I'm sick of fixin all the little things wrong with it. I need new tires, new lifters, adjustments on the valves, clutch, you name it.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

just drive the ZTR to the job site! with some modification it can go 20 MPH LOL!

4. topsites

That's funny, it really is. But seriously, I've considered having a hitch installed on my car for just this type of BS. I used to have a car with a hitch but I sold it, it would only get used if once / year, but at least it could pull the trailer home say in the case the truck can't be fixed the same day... Then again, stupid hitches cost 200 dollars installed, so it's really not worth it.

I got lucky the guys were able to fix it, I had to leave the trailer behind because it's illegal to tow truck + trailer, the guy said we could come back for it but I was in no mood to pay two tow bills.

Good thing it was in an off-the-path cul-de-sac and all that was on it was heavy equipment (mower and push-blower). I locked the gate and the hitch-clip with padlocks, so either someone with a bolt-cutter or two or more guys to lift the stuff over the side... I didn't think nobody would mess with it (and nobody did) but it still made me kinda nervous, heh...

5. topsites

I did learn a cool trick thou, which would've saved me had I known at the time...

Anytime a fuel pump goes bad (one can at best suspect it), clamp shut the (rubber only) fuel return line with some vise-grips, as this can allow the faulty pump to get enough fuel to the engine to get home. It likely won't run as usual, but at least it runs. Obviously, this only works if the return line is made of rubber (mine was), don't go clamping steel lines lol. And, if clamping shut the return line gets the engine to run, one additionally knows it is most likely the fuel pump at fault (thou a seriously clogged fuel filter could do it as well).

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

This only works on carbed engines heh.

EFI engines already run a rail pressure of 30-60 psi, and they have a pressure regulator on the return line that does the same thing as your vice grips. Clamp that line, and your royally PISS off the ECU unit and it will probably not run at all :)