1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck/Car Maintence Log YOU SHOULD USE THIS!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Mar 1, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought you guys may be interested in this. I made up a spreadsheet that you all can keep in your vehicle as well as on the computer to track your maintence. It is real simple, write in the mileage and date across the top, check the appopriate box, and then across the bottom there is a section for comments. For example, if you replace a cv joint, you can write down the purchase date, where you got it from, and whether or not it has a lifetime warranty on it, like most napa, autozone, pepboys, etc parts have. This is an excellent way to keep track of your car or truck maintence. Plus, when it comes time to sell your vehicle you can give all this stuff to the next owner, so they can see that it was well maintained. I may have left a few things out, and this one I started on I ended up making for our '90 Dodge Carvan, which is just one of our five cars that we drive. You can easily add and subtract categories as you please.

By the way, I dont know how many of you work on cars often, but for those of you who do, especially front wheel drive stuff, how many miles are you typically getting out of your cv joints? Our mini van is tearing them up left and right, we get about 7 -10 thousand on then and they start to make noise again. Does anyone know of a better brand or place to get ahold of quality replacement parts? We have tried all sorts of things, napa, autozone, pepboys, and there is one other one that I can't think of the name right now. All these things we have purchased come with lifetime warrantees, but it is still a pita to replace this stuff all the time. The same is true for ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. This must be the reason so many auto manufacturers are going back to rear wheel drive cars.

One more thing while we are on the topic of cars. I found a 1994 Chevy 1500 4x4 silverado on the side of the road for sale the other day. it is in really good shape, it has a diamond plate tool box, spray in bedliner, and just a little bit of surface rust on the hood, prob from stone chips, which can easily be touched up without really seeing it. It has a fairly fresh set of tires on it, as well as alloy/aluminum wheels. The truck is owned by a mechanic, and he thought the previous owner had put in tranny in it. The thing that scares me is the fact that it has 210,000 miles on it. If that is the original tranny I have a feeling that he is trying to get rid of thing before she blows. Does anyone have any experiance with these trucks? How far will the tranny's and transfer case, etc go before you start to have problems? The main reason I ask this is because I thought the price was fairly good, he was asking $3850 for it, but he said he'd take a reasonable offer. What do you think I should do, consider it or keep shopping? My dad has an '89 chevy 4x4 that is almost identitical to this one, and his only has 80,000 on it. We are already seeing signs of tranny failure though.... Any help on this would be much appreciated/

Attached Files:

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Has it been hit in the front end before? Where are you getting the new ones from? Which end is wearing out? The axel side or tranny side?

As for the Chevy truck,... if you really like it i would offer $2000. I highly doubt thats the original tranny. With that many miles though the one thing that would scare me replacing a bunch of little things. You know like the hard to get at heater core, etc.. The tool box isn't really worth much and the spray in bed liner is ok but it's now a part of the truck so the seller can't add that as extra in his price. It was his choice that was a permanent decision.
    Does the truck make any noise when running?
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yeah a reasonable offer on that Chevy would be $1500..
    we have a '92 Ford full size 3/4 ton van with 206,000 original miles, never torn into it once, never leaks or burns oil, tranny is all original with no troubles at all... but its been well taken care of its whole life. i would jump in it and drive it anywhere needed anytime...
    a buddy had a '86 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd shortbed, with a 350 and 5 speed stick shift, went 350k miles on it before he sold it.... still going strong. never had it apart, never even had the valve covers off and she ran great, didn't use or leak oil anywhere. great truck.