Truck choices!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Enforcer, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

So I am just driving by the used car place in town (very well know dealer, stands behind his stuff) and I see a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Laramie package, quad cab, I think 20in. wheels, chrome accessories, leer topper, mint conditon, I'm not sure of the miles. He wants $16,850 for it, he dropped it from $18,450 and it has been there for about 3 weeks, it says 'must sell' on the windows. I have an 2005 Ram 1500, 4.7 V8, 2wd, reg cab, 44,000 miles, and I paid $14,900 for it 2 years ago. I still owe $9,000 on it. I am wondering what I would I get for my truck if I sell it privately. I don't have the money to buy outright, and I would need a loan. I pay $302 per month on my truck loan now. This is a beautiful truck for sale and I am just trying to think of my best option right now.
  2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

well according to kelly blue excellent condition your truck could fetch 12k. however good luck getting that.

If you really want that truck you should see what the dealer would give you. if its more then you win.

if you have carmax around you they tend to offer the most of any dealer.
  3. Lawn Enforcer

I was going to talk to him today, but he is closed up for the weekend (vintage racer) it sounds like a killer deal to me!
  4. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

you might do better off trading your truck in at a chevy dealer and taking the 0% for 72 months.
  5. Lawn Enforcer

Well, Chevy dealers don't have the truck I want. Plus, I have a '99 Jeep Cherokee that I could trade in-and my Dad said he would take over payments on my truck. I talked to the guy and he said around $2,400 for the Jeep on a trade in. $16,850-$2,400=$14,450, so the payments on my new truck would be less than the one I have now.
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

then sound like a deal!
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

With all the incentives now, you can almost buy a new truck for that price. With that Hemi, you had better budget about $200.00/week for gasoline. That is, only if you don't drive it much, or you do not tow a trailer. If you drive a lot and/or tow a trailer, better allow $250.00/week.
    I don't think it is a good deal at all. It is a buyers market for full size trucks right now.
  8. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

One of my helpers drives a HEMI and gets around 8 mpg in town. It averaged 4.6 the day he puller the trailer while I was out of town. I would think twice!!!
  9. Lawn Enforcer

I'm not too worried about the gas. I have an aunt that had a HEMI and it sucked the gas like crazy, but she and my uncle drove it like a race car, pedal to the floor at every stop sign. I have a neighbor who has an '06 HEMI and he gets 11 around town and 17 on the highway because he drives sensibly. I don't do a lot of driving anyway, I only have 1 account that is more than 3 miles from my shop, and I'll drive it to school occasionally.
  10. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hemis get fine milage. I drive 600 miles a week for my full time job and get 17 highway and 15 city. When I pull my open trailer, about 3000lbs total, I get 13 to 14 regularly. However, if you could settle for a 2 door hemi, you could probably get a brand new one for less then 18K depending on options. Also, you get a decent warranty on the power train. Good luck.